PDA

View Full Version : The article I wrote for my MOMS Club newsletter

DebbieJ
09-30-2005, 10:38 AM
Thanks Ilana for the info. I added some of my own as well.

Please tell me what you think!
-----------------------------

Car Seat Safety

According to the National SAFE KIDS Coalition, 85% of car seats are used incorrectly. In preparation for our visit from the XXXX Police for car seat checks, I encourage you to read both the manual for your car seat(s) AND the manual for your car to ensure that you are installing and using your seat(s) correctly.

How do you know if you’ve installed and are using it correctly? Here are some things to look for:
1. There is no more than one inch of movement side to side at the belt path. Push the base of your car seat side to side where the belt goes through. Does it move more than one inch? If not, you’ve done a great job! If so, be sure to get to our meeting early so the officer can tighten it for you.

2. If you are using LATCH anchors, use them in the outboard positions only. Most cars do not allow for the use of LATCH anchors in the center position. Check your car owner’s manual to be sure.

3. Make sure your rear-facing seat is properly reclined. This is important for small babies who do not have the neck strength to hold their own heads up. Make sure the seat is reclined no more than 45 degrees. Use a pool noodle at the base if needed.

4. Make sure the harness is snug EACH AND EVERY TIME you put your child in the seat. Because your child wears different clothes every day and will be sitting in a different posture, you must check the harness and adjust it every time you place your child in the seat. Use the pinch test. Buckle up baby and tighten the harness. Pinch a harness strap north to south, near the shoulder. If you can pinch a fold in the harness, it is too loose. Tighten it up! Babies actually feel more comfortable when it’s snug like a hug!

5. Use the correct harness slots for the height of your child. For a rear-facing seat, use the slots at or below your child’s shoulders. For a forward-facing seat, use the slots at or above your child’s shoulders. Also, you must double check your manual to ensure that the slots you are using are reinforced for forward-facing. Many seats allow the use of the top slots ONLY for forward-facing.

6. Position the chest clip level with your child’s armpits. The chest clip keeps the harness in the proper position on your child’s shoulders in the event of a crash. If it is not positioned correctly, the harness won’t be either.

7. Do not use an aftermarket headrest or snuzzler. If it didn't come in the box with the car seat from the manufacturer, don’t use it. Only those included with the seat have been crash tested with the seat. Do you want your baby to be a crash test dummy? Aftermarket body supports and head and neck rolls are generally well-padded and used under a baby. These items can compress in a crash and leave the harness too loose on the child. A loose harness can lead to ejection and serious injury or death for a child. If your child needs support, buckle him into the seat first, and then add rolled receiving blankets around his head and sides of his body. Nothing, except light clothing, should come between the baby, the harness and the car seat.

8. Do not put your child in the seat wearing a fluffy winter coat. A fluffy winter coat will introduce slack into the harness in a crash, which could lead to ejection for the child. The fluff in the coat will compress greatly, creating "dead space." There are many polar fleece coats on the market now that are thin enough to use under a harness, yet can keep a child very warm (like Land’s End polar fleece). Consider putting the child into the car seat, then putting the coat on backwards after she's buckled in. Or try heating a bag of rice in the microwave for a minute or so, then putting it in the car seat for a minute to warm it up. Remove it and put the child into the seat. The Cozy Rosie (www.cozyrosie.com) is a thick blanket that will keep a child safely warm in a car seat. The Posh Pouch is great for infant seats. Or just use a regular old blanket! Make sure that there is nothing between your child and the seat and that whatever you use does not interfere with the correct use of the harness.

9. Check the manufacture date on your car seat. It is recommended that car seats older than 5 or 6 years be replaced. Car seats 10 years or older should never be used. Why? Older seats tend to have a lot of recalls on them of which you may not be aware. Replacement parts may be unavailable. Plastic and other parts of the seat wear down and may break, especially in extreme climates. Some of this wear may not be noticeable to you. Also, technology has greatly improved the safety of newer seats and it will continue to do so. If you have an old seat, don’t just throw it out, DESTROY IT! Get out the sledgehammer and crush that thing to pieces. Maybe your husband is looking for an excuse to use the chainsaw; here is his opportunity! Don’t forget to cut the harness straps also.

10. Never use a pre-owned seat if you do not know the history or how it was treated or stored. You have no way of knowing if the seat is in proper working condition or if it has been in a collision.

11. Never use a seat that has been in a collision. Always replace a seat after a collision does body damage to the car. This includes the base for an infant seat as well. If you are in a minor fender-bender and there's no damage to your vehicle, it is your prerogative whether or not to replace the seat. Call the manufacturer of the car seat; some manufacturers will send you another seat for free. Also, your car or home owner’s insurance may cover the seat. If you're still unsure if you should replace the seat, get a new one. It is better to be safe than sorry; car seats are far cheaper than a hospital or funeral home bill if the seat fails in the future because of the collision. Also look into getting your seat belts replaced, since they, too, will have been stressed from the impact.

12. Always choose a seat with a 5-point harness. When used properly every time, a 5-point harness gives your child the best protection. Other types of harnesses, such at T-shields and overhead shields should not be used. T-shields don't fit every baby and leave a lot of room between the baby and the harness. That means there's more space for your baby to move in a collision. The long stalk may also cause neck injuries, especially in smaller babies. An overhead shield holds the harness away from the child's body and is designed so that the child will come into contact with the shield in a crash. It gets in the way of chubby tummies, chubby thighs, and heads in a collision. It's like using the dashboard as a restraint. At least one death has been attributed to an overhead shield-type car seat.

Is your head spinning yet? Now that you know your seat is safe, consider leaving your child rear-facing as long as possible. Yes, the guidelines state that your child can forward-face at one year and 22 pounds, but this is just the MINIMUM! It does not mean that you HAVE to turn your child around. One year is not some magical age when all children have strong necks and backs to withstand the forces of a crash. All children are different and in the end you have to decide what is best for your child. Consider the following:

1. Safety experts generally agree that rear facing is the safest way for children (and adults if seats accommodated it) to travel. The general reason is that when the child is rear-facing, in the event of a frontal crash (the most common type of crash) the back of the seat absorbs most of the forces of the crash allowing her to "ride" down the crash. When the child is forward-facing, the child's body is thrown forward and only the straps help absorb some of the crash forces, thus her head and neck take a significant amount of force. There is a much greater risk of spinal cord injury in this case. Check out the following page for specifics: http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html

2. Go to http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/stayrearfacing.aspx to watch some crash test videos (scroll down to the bottom). The site explains the links between crash forces and development and indicates that 20 pounds/1 year is the bare minimum for turning a kid around, but that waiting longer has some significant benefits.

3. While it seems to us that a child’s legs are too squished to be rear-facing any longer, the kids don't seem to mind. In fact, there are many kids who rear-face to 3 or 4 years old (and they clearly are old enough to complain about squished legs). See http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFalbum.aspx for pictures. In addition, there is no evidence of legs being broken from rear-facing (plus, it's easier to fix a broken leg than a broken spine).

4. Obviously, rear facing is only better if you are within the rear-facing limits of the car seat. Most infant seats accommodate a child to about 20 pounds, although the new Graco Snugrides and other new seats go to 22 pounds. Once the child has outgrown the infant seat, they should move to a convertible and remain rear-facing until the rear-facing weight limits are reached. Most convertibles rear-face to 30 pounds. Britax seats rear-face to 33 pounds, and Cosco seats rear-face to 35 pounds (the highest available right now). The child can stay rear-facing as long as they are within the weight limit and the top of their ears do not exceed the top of the shell of the car seat.

5. A forward-facing seat is not unsafe IF your child is over 1 year and 22 pounds. Rear-facing is considered safer when your child fits within the limits of the seat and the seat is properly used and installed. When you turn your child forward-facing, make sure that you use the top tether for additional security. Most cars have tether hooks on the shelf below the back window or on the floor of the cargo area. While there is no safety advantage to using the LATCH anchors to install the seat (as opposed to the seatbelt - use whichever one gives a better installation), testing has shown that using the top tether (and making sure it's tight) greatly reduces the amount of head flinging described above for front-facing seats. http://www.car-safety.org/latch.html

6. The American Academy of Pediatrics currently recommends that children remain rear-facing to the limits of their seat. http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics%3b109/3/550. Pediatricians are not certified car passenger safety technicians. Most pediatricians are not up to date on the current recommendations; don't risk your child's life based on another's misinformation.

7. NEVER place a rear facing infant/child in the front of an active airbag. The force of the airbag deployment could injure or even kill a baby. Always put children 12 and under in the back seat.

8. Once a child has outgrown the rear facing limits of their convertible seat, they should be turned forward facing and remain harnessed until the reach the weight limit of the seat (most are 40 pounds, although the larger Britax seats go to 65 pounds) or until the top of their ears exceed the back of the car seat. Once they have outgrown their convertible seats, and IF they are mature enough, they should move to a booster seat. Your child should use a booster seat until he is about 8 years old and 4'9" tall. Some children may need one longer depending on the vehicle. Illinois law states that any child under 8 years MUST ride in a child safety seat or booster seat, NOT a seatbelt alone. It's the law!
Your child can ride without a booster when he/she passes this 5 step test:
• Child can sit all the way back against the vehicle seat without slouching.
• Knees bend comfortably over the edge of the seat.
• Shoulder belt crosses the child's collarbone in the center.
• Lap belt fits low and snug on the hips/upper thighs.
• Child can sit this way for the duration of the trip.
If the child cannot meet all of these criteria, they are at risk for serious injury in a crash if they are in a seatbelt alone. Never permit a child to put a shoulder belt behind the back or under the arm. Never let a child ride in a lap belt only position. Lap only positions are not safe for children or adults who are riding in seatbelts or boosters. A lap belt can be used to restrain a child seat (infant, convertible, or forward facing seat with a harness) but can NEVER be used with a booster seat and should never be used with a child in a belt alone unless there is no other option. When there is no shoulder belt, the upper body is left unprotected and in a frontal crash, the body can jackknife over the belt causing extensive injury or ejection.

For further research and review, visit the following websites:
http://www.carseatsite.com/
http://www.cpsafety.com/default.aspx
http://www.car-safety.org/
http://www.seatcheck.net/boostillinois.html

I have found that is it to my advantage to arm myself with this information for the sake of my child. There are many well-meaning people out there, including pediatricians and even certified CPS techs right here in Will County (I could tell you a story!), who simply have not taken the time to educate themselves fully. I have done extensive research and am glad to share this information with you. My son has been rear-facing in his Britax Marathon since his was three months old and is still happily rear-facing today at 22 months. He will remain that way until he reaches the 33 pound weight limit (which isn’t happening anytime soon!). If you have any questions about the information here, please give me a call! While I am not a certified CPS-tech (although I hope to be in the future), I would be happy come over and help you with your seat.
---------------------------

Comments? Please feel free to steal this and pass out to your own mommy friends.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfed for 20 months and 6 days

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

KrisM
09-30-2005, 11:06 AM
Sounds really good! I have a couple of comments.

First, it's a bit long. Do you think your MOMS will read it? Obviously, it's only effective if it's read. I'm not sure what I"d leave out though.

You mention to only use LATCH anchors in outboard positions. I'd re-write that to have people just check their vehicle's manual. My car allows center LATCH, as do a lot of other cars. People might read this and assume you just don't know what you're talking about and not continue for the rest of the good information.

Can you add something about the safety issues of loose objects in the vehicle? Not exactly car-seat related, but close, and it's something a lot of people don't even think about.

Other than that, I think it's fantastic. I might steal it for our MOMS Club newsletter, too. We're having a car seat tech (I think) from AAA come in October.

bensmom
09-30-2005, 11:24 AM
Wow! Looks great! I'll have to bookmark this thread.

Thanks for sharing.

Ilana

Joolsplus2
09-30-2005, 12:11 PM
Nice :).
For the websites, you can shorten them to www.cpsafety.com and www.seatcheck.net, those will work and are easier to type in :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

wencit
09-30-2005, 12:17 PM
Wow, that is awesome, Deb! I have yet to see an article with as much information as you have packed into this one. I'm going to print this one out and save for my records.

Great job.

samiam
09-30-2005, 04:47 PM
It's excellent. Perhaps you should consider submitting it to the parenting magazines as well. It's very thorough.

niccig
09-30-2005, 06:24 PM
I know a few mums I would love to send this too. Don't know how to do it without coming off as too pushy or know-it-all. We've already had a few car seat conversations, and I was really surprised at what they didn't know, but how to pass on the info. without upsetting anyone by thinking they need to get this email.

janeannechovy
10-01-2005, 06:35 PM
I'm confused--I thought the rule for rear-facing was that there should be an inch of seat above the kid's head? And the top-of-the-ears rule was for forward-facing? Please clarify.

JaneAnne

Karenn
10-01-2005, 08:58 PM
Deb,
That's awesome! I'd like to use it in my next MOPS newsletter if you don't mind! I'd also love to give you credit if you want to PM me your last name. Let me know.

DebbieJ
10-01-2005, 09:25 PM
No need to credit me, really. All the RF stuff was from Ilana, who posts here and the first half was pieced together from a few car seat safety website. So none of it is really original!

Reprint, copy and paste, or whatever to your heart's content!

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfed for 20 months and 6 days

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

bensmom
10-02-2005, 08:47 AM
It varies by the seat.

Infant seats, it's the one inch rule. For a convertible seat, the general rule, unless the manual specifies otherwise, is top of head even with top of seat for RF convertibles. Britax allows top of ears for RF (at least according to my manual) - probably because RF is so much safer.

Ilana

CPS Tech