PDA

View Full Version : Latch or tether? Making sense of car manuel

Wausau74
09-30-2005, 03:59 PM
I have another question about our Nissan Xterra. We are probably going to get the Britax Marathon- have to go to BRU to see how it fits. I don't understand a few things that are in the car's manuel:

We can't use the LATCH in the center position and must use the center seatbelt. Is it better to use the LATCH on the outboard position rather than using the center seatbelt? Are both just as safe? I would think if we can get in the center it would offer better protection in the event of a side crash.

We can use the LATCH and the tether strap on an outboard position? Would that be the safest route to go?

If we put it in the center back and use the tether it must be placed between the reat seat back cushion. as low as possible. I guess that is just making sure it in there right.

So I guess my question is what is better- latch and tether on outboard or seatbelt and tether in the center?

TIA

o_mom
09-30-2005, 04:05 PM
Center as long as it is tight (<1 in movement at the belt path)

Is this RF or FF? If FF, you will probably have no trouble getting it tight. My experience has been that RF is much harder to get tight on certain vehicle/position/seat combinations, but FF is usually very easy.

Wausau74
09-30-2005, 04:32 PM
Duh- the tether looks like it is on for FF. thanks.

Wausau74
09-30-2005, 04:40 PM
I forgot to add that according to the pictures in the manuel, the center seat belt would have to go over the car seat as if there isn't a base. That seems really odd to me. Any thoughts?
Thanks again!

o_mom
09-30-2005, 05:07 PM
They are probably showing a picture of an infant seat installed without a base or a convertible without the cover. On the MA you will route the belt through the bottom of the seat, under the cover.

o_mom
09-30-2005, 05:09 PM
If you are getting a Britax, you can use the tether rear-facing also. One of the techs may be able to tell you where to tether rear-facing in that car.

That will make RF installation much easier, since you don't have to worry so much about the recline angle as you can adjust it with the tether.

Joolsplus2
10-01-2005, 07:55 AM
Center with the seatbelt is ideal, as long as it's a good install and not desparately inconvenient for you (some moms with back problems, for instance, are much better off using the side seats, or if the driver is REALLY tall, or something...ANY properly installed seat in the back is VERY safe). Here's what it looks like when you use a seatbelt (sorry about the other pictures...just scroll down...) http://photobucket.com/albums/y255/joolstag/. See that strap/tether hanging off the back/top of the seat? I didn't top tether it for that picture, but what you will do is take a special extra strap that comes with the seat, tie it onto the leg of the front seat, and clip the tether to that. It's called Swedish tethering, and only Briax allows it. Your car manual will NOT discuss this, ONLY the Britax manual will mention it.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx