PDA

View Full Version : Britax MA rearfacing seatbelt question

punkadoodle2
10-02-2005, 11:16 AM
Feel silly asking this question. But...need to know when to move the seatbelt up to the next level. When the seatbelt is just below his shoulders correct? I was thinking that I read somewhere that when they're rear facing that it's better to have it just below his shoulders than above them. Am I making any sense?

Have to pat myself of the back a little. Yesterday we went to a safety seat check. The Trooper pulled and pushed on the seat and said, "wow, you've got this in here really good. Who installed it, your husband or you?" I told him that I had indeed installed it. He then said, "get out, you did a great job getting it this tight!!!" He didn't even touch it! I do however think the seatbelt may need to be moved up.

TIA for the advice!!! I'll wait to hear from y'all to move it up!

Ellen

Aunt to sweet baby boy
10-02-2005, 11:37 AM
I moved dn up when his shoulders were nearly at the 2nd slot. They were much closer to the 2nd then to the lower one and it was becoming very hard to buckle him in because the straps would slip off his shoulders. He is now even with the 2nd slot and i moved the straps about a month ago.

When rf the straps must be at or below the shoulders, when ff they must be at or above the shoulders.

Congrats on your great seat install!

Btw how old is your dc?

punkadoodle2
10-02-2005, 03:25 PM
I'll have to put him back in to check.

He is 9mo. He's 20# and 29 inches long.

Thanks

Joolsplus2
10-02-2005, 03:32 PM
Probably still keep them down in the bottom slots...I bet you'll find the second set up is longer up from his shoulders than you think, and you want them to be snug ON the shoulders when RF. At least it's easy to change the harness with the seat still installed...you can just push your front seats forward so you can fit in there, then loosen the harness ALL the way, and then take one harness strap off the metal yoke at a time, run it through to the front, run it back through to the back in the higher slot, rehook to metal yoke, repeat with other side (always only do one at a time so the original serves as a reminder, and keeps the metal yoke from falling under your seat and getting lost)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

punkadoodle2
10-02-2005, 05:29 PM
Thanks Jools, I knew you'd have the answer. I didn't question the trooper, figured he didn't always have the best answers!! hehe! Like I said, I thought that I read maybe in the manuel that you'd go better to have the straps a little below his shoulders than way above!!

Ellen

P.S. LOVING our cow MA!!! So glad I stalked this board for car seat info!!!

punkadoodle2
10-04-2005, 02:41 PM
Ok, finally went somewhere in the car today. Noticed that the next strap up is at least an inch ABOVE DS's shoulders. Should I leave it where it is?

Ellen

Joolsplus2
10-04-2005, 02:47 PM
Yeah, leave it down for awhile longer... if it's slipping off his shoulders, or he's leaning OUT of the seat sideways, then you can move it up, but if it's staying on his shoulders, then it's fine where it is :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

punkadoodle2
10-04-2005, 02:57 PM
I usually loosed it to get him in, buckle him and pull it to tighten. Staying on his shoulders now. Thanks!!! He loved being in that seat. So would I, heck...it's SO soft and comfey!

thanks again!
Ellen