PDA

View Full Version : What to buy for 4 year old 26 lb child

lcburnstx
10-02-2005, 07:52 PM
We currently have my dd in two FF RA (one for each car.) She is close to 38-39" and I am resesarching what to buy next. I've seen a lot on the Recaro but didn't find any reviews of the product itself. (Maybe I just didn't look hard enough.) Does it just look nice and safe or does it match the reputation of Britax? I'm torn between the Recaro and one of the new Britax seats (Boulevard, Decathlon, Regent.) Another factor is airline travel which we do at least 4x/year. Any suggestions?

uccomama
10-02-2005, 08:08 PM
Given the age and weight of your DD, and the fact you have her FF I would go for the Recaro because it is going to last a long time, it will probably see you though to when she fits the seat belt, you would need to buy her a booster after she outgrows any of the Britax by height (she is unlikely to outgrow any of the 65 lb Britax seats by weight). The quality of the Recaro is equal to the Britax seats and Recaro have been in the child seat business in Europe for many years and have the reputation of being first class. The company is the leader in manufacturing seats for race cars and airlines, and they test extensively, as Britax does.

Deborah

Aunt to sweet baby boy
10-03-2005, 12:17 AM
I agree with what deborah said.

Your dd is light enough to be in the recaro seat to 40 lbs or when she outgrows the harness. I think a higher weight britax seat would be overkill because your dd might not be 40 lbs for another 2 years but by then she might outgrow the harness and then you would have to buy her another bpb. The harness height on the Recaro are the same as on the MA from what i have heard and then it makes a great bpb so you would get two seats for what you would get from one britax.

JMHO

Joolsplus2
10-03-2005, 08:35 AM
And Deborah has one, so she knows of what she speaks ;) http://uccomama-ivil.tripod.com/id14.html

You can continue to use your RA till her shoulders are *just above* the top slots in the plastic shell or the tops of her ears are even with the top of the seatback.... so maybe you have some time to see if any other new seats come out, like perhaps the Profile at www.skjp.com. Also the Graco Ultra or Platinum Cargo is a nice option, with EPS foam and a fairly nice harness, also very light for travel.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

o_mom
10-03-2005, 02:04 PM
The Cargo is $78 this week at Target - the nice one with memory foam!