PDA

View Full Version : Used Graco Snugride from 2003

ChrissyJames
10-03-2005, 12:25 PM
My husband has been given a used Graco Snugride from one of his families at his school. It was manufactured 2003/5/27 and it is Model C7411BLD (I think - D or 3). I haven't been able to look at the Consumer Reports or the Baby Bargains book. Is this a good one? Should we keep it or buy a brand new one? Does it have a 5 point harness (I keep hearing that is what you want)? My main concern is safety - I want the safest possible carseat. I am not worried about weight or looks as much.

Joolsplus2
10-03-2005, 03:31 PM
Sorry, I'm not familiar with that exact model number...there was a recall on some 2003 seats, so make sure the metal bars are on the bottom of the seat, and the metal clips are in the seat before you use it (they are obvious...either there's a couple metal bars under th seat, or there's nothing).
A 5-pt harness means there's lapstraps... a 3-pt harness has just a "V" that goes on the shoulders and crotch. A front harness adjuster is ideal, and that is a a pull-strap down on the front of the seat (otherwise, a rear adjuster is just loose straps on the back of the seat, should be routed through some metal clips...if they have been routed improperly, the harness won't stay tight).
See if www.gracobaby.com has the manual, or if there's a number you can call to get the manual...that should really clear up any questions you have about how to use it.
If you have even a *feeling* that the seat is wrong and you won't be able to use it correctly, then I'd go with your gut and get a new seat. I'm sure it's probably fine, and if you trust the people you got it from that it wasn't in a crash or otherwise maltreated (straps shouldn't be washed in the machine, covers shouldn't be washed in Dreft, or they lose their flame retardency...that sort of thing...).

Hope that helps a little!
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

janeannechovy
10-03-2005, 04:21 PM
Wait--why shouldn't straps be washed in the machine?

JaneAnne

o_mom
10-03-2005, 05:10 PM
Short answer - it can weaken them

Long answer according to an engineer, not verified in any way, shape or form - the fibers in the straps could potentially absorb enough water if submerged that they would swell and cause microscopic tears in the fibers. This would weaken the overall structure of the straps and lower the breaking force. So, the straps designed to hold a 40 lb child at 35 mph (random numbers) might break at some point lower than that causing the child to be ejected - which we all know is bad.

Joolsplus2
10-03-2005, 07:55 PM
Yeah, pretty much... It's probably not as crucial in a rearfacing seat, since the seat shell does the bulk of the energy absorption, but it's definitely one of those things you don't want to mess with, since manuals all say not to do it. It might not be so bad to dunk them in fresh water and a dollop of Dawn and then lay flat to dry immediately, but to put them in the machine for 45 minutes in all kinds of chemicals people tend to use...well... stuff can happen...

Joolsplus2
10-03-2005, 07:56 PM
But, on the flipside, I've never heard of straps *breaking* in a crash, either, so it's probably not a HUGE deal, just something it's best not to mess with :)

janeannechovy
10-04-2005, 02:49 PM
This sounded odd to me, so I checked it out as best I could. Most info from Graco etc. says to spot-clean straps, but I couldn't find anything that indicated why. But this link, from the Child Passenger Safety Technical Encyclopedia, says that washing is okay so long as you don't use bleach: http://www.carseat.org/Technical/tech_update.htm#clean And it goes without saying that you have to reinstall the straps correctly!

I'm not currently using a seat with laundered straps, but do have a Roundabout I plan on using when bebe outgrows his bucket, the straps of which I washed twice following vomit episodes with number 1 son. No way spot-cleaning would have sufficed in that situation!

Anyway, if you've got any counter authority, I'd love to see it.

JaneAnne

Joolsplus2
10-04-2005, 03:12 PM
Nope, that makes perfect sense to me (I've probably read it 100 times too, but forgot reading it, rofl!). I truly think all the manuals say NOT to submerge/machine wash because people tend to get crazy with the chemicals and soaking and scrubbing and high heat settings, not because it's particularly dangerous to wash straps inherently.

:)

ChrissyJames
10-05-2005, 10:08 AM
Hi! I emailed Graco and apparantly the only thing that has changed on the snugride since 2003 are fabrics and colours - no safety/structural upgrades. Toys R Us does stress testing on used carseats so it can confirm that it has never been in an accident (although I am pretty sure it has not been). Hopefully Consumer Reports/ Baby Bargains has tested it and rates it highly - I just need to make it to the library to check that out. Now I just need to worry about washing it apparantly... :) Saves me $200 - thanks everyone!

Joolsplus2
10-05-2005, 10:17 AM
It rates fine, no worries about that (it's been top of the CR reports for a few years...which can be found online :))
Not sure who told your TRU tests seats, but they don't. The only way to test a seat for hidden damage is to X-ray it, which costs more than a new seat, so no one does it. (And new Gracos are like $120 for the loaded models... Decent Cosco Caresses are $99, Nicer Chicoo Key Fits are $140, Britax Companions $170, and Britax Babysafes are $300 <eyballs popping at the price... and they are prone to breaking!>).

Anyway, cool..you can spend all your carseat budget on a Convertible... the Snugride'll be outgrown in 4-6 months, but convertibles last 3-6 years, depending on the model you choose, so you want to put as much as you can into one of those :)

LOL about washing it... just avoid bleach and Dreft.. (the first, obviously you would... I think only doofuses are trying to turn their straps a fashionable white color? ROFL!) and Dreft can reduce flame retardancy (according to some clothing label I was reading that said to use detergent, not soap, to wash anti-flammable baby sleepwear...)

:)