PDA

View Full Version : Techs! Help! Where to tether in a Malibu

kimbe
10-03-2005, 05:16 PM
Grrr, DH and I feel like idiots!

We installed our new BV RF in the center position in our 2003 Mailbu. (Easy as pie!!! -- might need to do some angle work if the tethering doesn't work out though!) We are trying to tether it, but we can't find anywhere to attach the tether. From what we see we have two options, but neither will work! There is no crossbar under the seat that we can find.

#1 -- to the seat track. We have to move the seat forward to attach it to the track, then we can only move the seat back a little bit. I can barely get into the front seat if we do that.

#2 -- the seat belt holder thingy that is bolted to the floor. It unfortunately is covered with plastic and if you attach the tether there, it slide up to the seat "belt" no good!

Is there anywhere that we are missing that we can tether this seat to. Has anyone tethered a Britax in a Malibu

The other option is that we tether the BV to the seat track and I will never sit in the front seat until we get a car that doesn't suck! If it is safer for DD, I'll do it!

TIA!!!!

Joolsplus2
10-03-2005, 07:51 PM
Sounds like my old Prius..... You know how you can see the seat track when you move the seat forward? See if you can push the seat back, and then reach under the seat to the same place on the track...know what I mean? You'll be all the way under the front seat tying that d-ring to the track..it's big fun. If not, what's wrong with the 'very very back' of the seat track? Like, around the area that is bolted to the floor/hump?
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

kimbe
10-03-2005, 08:24 PM
There IS a place that we could get the tether on, I think, (just ran out quick in the dark :) ) on the very front of the seat track. If the seat is all the way back, there is a space up front. I am talking up front where the front passenger seat begins. So the D-ring would be there and the tether would go UNDER the front seat. Am I understanding correctly? If it is okay to go under the whole seat, I think we may be in business.

There is no hump where the back of the track is bolted to. It is pretty much a 4'' plate that is bolted flush against the floor. And making the car a TOTAL PITA, the seat extends over the track about two inches so it totally blocks you from tying anything to it. (We really hate the car and can't wait until it is paid off so we can get rid of it!)

If you say that going under the seat is okay, we will give it a try tomorrow and let you know how it goes. I am probably going to post some pictures here for you guys to check out. We live in a very rural area so I am a little nervous about getting our seat installation checked here. I trust you guys more!

Thanks so much for the help!

Joolsplus2
10-04-2005, 07:03 AM
Ok, I get it about the seat track bolt...yick!

Yeah, that's really how I had to do it in my prius...lean WAY under the front seat...but it worked fine :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx