PDA

View Full Version : Glad I asked!!! (long)

niccig
10-03-2005, 09:58 PM
When DS was 1 month old, my parents in Australia bought a Britax car seat from friends for him to use when we visit. They knew it was well looked after and never in an accident, so I thought it would be Ok. Several months later on, I know more about car seats and after installing our new convertible seats, I started asking them questions about the seat they have.

Excepts from our conversation.

What's the age range?
12 months to 3 years, only forward facing.
Can you check the manual for the weight range?
No manual.
Then how do I know how to install it, as all car seats are different.?
Oh no problem installing, you just put it in the car and strap the seat belt around it.
Around it?
Yes, the seatbelt goes around the seat.
Does the seatbelt go around the baby?
Yes.
It doesn't have a separate harness for the baby?
No, no harness.
What!!! That's not a car seat, it's a booster. He can't use it until he's a lot older.
No, I took it to a baby store and they said it's an older model, but it's still fine for 1 year and up.
Not it's not!
Fine then, bring your own carseat.
You bet I will!!!

I called Britax Australia and they think it's a booster as well, but as I haven't seen the seat, I couldn't answer all their questions. I passed on the customer service rep's phone no. to my parents and told them to call and find out for sure. So I'm hoping that the very businesslike Rae is telling my mother that she doesn't have a car seat, she has a booster and that her grandson can not use it for a few years, because she's not listening to me and is p.oed that I'm even questioning it!

I do appreciate they went to the trouble to get something, but we're not going to use it. Not only is it a booster, it's a 1997 model so byy the time Barrett is old enough, it will be 10 yrs old (!), and as mum didn't want to buy a new cover, she threw out the old one and made her own! I didn't even go into this. I figure I'll wait until I get there, I'll then give them the $$ they paid for it and for sewing a new cover and destroy it. She's not going to be happy, but DS is never using that seat.

Nicci

julieakc
10-04-2005, 01:22 AM
Sometimes grandparents just don't get all the new rules, huh? ;-)

I totally agree with you. I wouldn't want my son to use the seat either.

Have a good visit!:-)

Joolsplus2
10-04-2005, 09:10 AM
Yikes! Yup, glad you asked.
I really don't think there will be any problem at all using your Touriva in their car, though. And as a visitor, not a resident, there shouldn't be any legal issues with using a US seat. And seatbelts are seatbelts, really. I spoke with a mom in Australia and she said she and all her friends even imported Roundabouts and Graco Cargos because they can't stand Aussie seats! Rather be "illegal" than use seats they don't like (supposedly there's nothing really a good tall top harness slot there, hence the Cargo being the seat of choice for importation...)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

niccig
10-04-2005, 01:33 PM
I'm glad I asked, otherwise I would have been in the parking lot of the airport refusing to put DS in the seat and arguing with her. Not a good beginning to the Christmas visit. I hope she called Britax Australia, as anytime I say something like this, her response is "we didn't do that" or "that's only in America".

Britax Australia doesn't have anything like the Marathon, BV or DC. All their convertible seats only go up to 40lbs. They do have a seat like a Husky. I do prefer to take my own seat as I know I'll get it installed properly. But now I need to ask questions about the car and the seatbelts. I think I'll need to use the locking clip. I'll post here once I found out more.
Nicci

californiagirl
10-04-2005, 01:38 PM
You will probably need the locking clip. In our experience, seatbelts in Australian cars do not lock, period. (This drives me nuts! How much more expensive can a US-style pull-all-the-way-out locking belt be?) On the other hand, cars are much more likely to have tether points available for an upper tether going towards the rear. We do use these in Australia, and find it less hassle than you'd think.

Joolsplus2
10-04-2005, 01:46 PM
Pick a good time when you're in a good mood with good weather during a good long nap, and tackle that locking clip (lol, or buy a Roundabout ;))...but really, locking clips aren't too hard to figure out, just 'grunt work' to do :P

Joolsplus2
10-04-2005, 01:49 PM
Sheesh, no locking seatbelts? Man...all that brilliant innovation in the 70's and 80's and then nothing... Wonder what the hangup is preventing further innovation? (just pondering out loud... ;) )

niccig
10-04-2005, 02:17 PM
Yes, I think I'll need to use the locking clip too. I'll take Jools' advice and do it on a good day when I have time. It's not something I want to figure out when I'm jet lagged from a 16+ hour journey.

I'm also going to ask about the car seatbelts. My parents have an old classic ford - classic because of age, not condition ;-) None of the seatbelts in the back retract. They are the type you have to manually adjust the length. Can you even use a carseat with these seatbelts?

I think we can use my grandmother's car 1999 or 2000 Civic Honda most of the time - the install should be easier in that. Oh, but it's a 2 door hatchback. Just getting the seat into the car will be fun.

I'm sure my parents don't get it and think I'm worrying too much. They're of the generation when kids just rolled around in the back seat unsecured. Times have changed.

Nicci

Joolsplus2
10-04-2005, 02:34 PM
Well, USUALLY manually adjusting belts are GOOD for seats... you know, you can just crank them down as tight as they need to be and they stay that way. You can ONLY use a locking clip on a lap/shoulderbelt (I'm sure you knew that...but it never hurts to say...)..and maybe the middle of the Civic will have a manual lapbelt... fingers crossed!

niccig
10-04-2005, 02:58 PM
Jools,
None of our cars have a manual lapbelt, so I can't practice this. So I would just thread the belt through the RF belt path, buckle, push down on the seat and then pull the belt very tight?? If so, I'm hoping it is that easy - no locking clip would be great.
Nicci

Joolsplus2
10-04-2005, 03:14 PM
Yup, manual belts are SO easy to install a seat with...just push the seat, pull the belt, voila :)