PDA

View Full Version : Are portable car seats safe?

julieakc
10-04-2005, 01:18 AM
Has anyone used this?

http://www.onestepahead.com/jump.jsp?lGen=detail&itemID=313766&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=313766&change=117

Obviously I wouldn't think this would be good for everyday use, but if it really does meet all safety standards, etc. it looks great for travel. I'd prefer to take my own as opposed to relying on a rental car company's carseat. Or is it fine to rely on a rental seat?

Too bad this seat isn't FAA approved...that would make it a great deal for travel.

Joolsplus2
10-04-2005, 06:54 AM
It's kind of a pain to work with (like most Cosco seats...lol), but when fitted properly to the child (out of the car, in similar thickness of clothing) and with a little practice at installing (much easier with a lap-only belt than lap-shoulderbelt), it does meet safety standards quite well. I've used mine a couple times on vacation, and it's certainly not my favorite, but it did the trick (and my 5 yo said she felt safer in it than in the seatbelt that she'd ridden in across the airport parking lot :) )
I prefer the RideSafer Travel Vest for kids over 35 pounds, if you KNOW you will be in a car with a lap/shoulderbelt (it's like a vest booster thing, lol)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

julieakc
10-04-2005, 12:07 PM
Thanks Julie!

I looked up the RideSafer Travel Vest...looks good, but kind of pricey. But more importantly my little one is too small for that. I am actually looking into the future as so far we have only traveled to places where we drive so we have our own carseat, but next summer I have a couple of potential plane trips I want to take so I'm thinking of logistics for that. DS will only be a little over 2 and I would doubt anywhere near the 35 pounds since he is only in about the 25th %tile for weight.

It's good to know that there are options out there.

One more related question.....do you think it would be easier and/or better for me just to take my own RA, which could be used on the plane and in a rental or friend's car? Just the thought of having to carry the big seat is a bit daunting.

Thanks again.

o_mom
10-04-2005, 01:41 PM
You will have to buy him a seat anyway, so you might as well put your RA in it. He will ride much better in his own seat.

Get a carry bag for the seat and push him in a stroller to the gate, or get wheels for the RA and pull him in it. Use a backpack for your diaperbag/carry on to keep your hands free.

I made it through a trip, with layover with a ComfortSport in a bag and a cheap umbrella stroller. It isn't really that hard to get it on the plane. Pre-board, and when you get in your aisle, put DS in _your_ seat (not window seat) and strap him in with the belt to keep him contained while you install the car seat in his seat (window seat). That way you aren't chasing him down the aisle while trying to get a seat installed.

julieakc
10-04-2005, 01:55 PM
Great tips.. thanks! Hopefully DH will be traveling with us so there will be two of us to haul all the stuff.

I can get wheels for the RA? Where?

o_mom
10-04-2005, 02:39 PM
Here is one place for wheels, I'm not sure if they are cheaper anywhere else. People who used them have liked them, but they are pricey ($89) compared to a bag (<$20) If you are going to travel alot, it might be worth the investment.

http://www.babyuniverse.com/pro/baby/75187/GogoKidzCartforBritaxRoundaboutandMarathon.html