PDA

View Full Version : What convertible seat for grandma's car?

niferbee
10-04-2005, 09:41 PM
The BB book recommends the Graco Comfortsport, whereas on here I've heard the Cosco (is it the Touriva or something like that?) is recommended. However, the BB book (I have the prev ed.) mentions it's low rated for safety... is that still true?

We're getting grandma a seat - what are the pros/cons of each?

(For our cars we're getting a Roundabout, but we're not spending that $ for grandma since she won't be using it as much)

Thanks in advance!
Jen

Joolsplus2
10-05-2005, 07:44 AM
In the last edition, the ComfortSport was way better than the Touriva, but now Cosco's way improved the Touriva, and there's no question the Touriva (or even better, the new improved Scenera) is better. They are both fine for safety, but the ease of use is what BB was going on to rate them...and the Touriva was a nightmare. Now, in terms of value, the Scenera(ore Touriva, if it's still on the shelves) wins, because it's easier to install and use properly, and has taller top slots, so it lasts longer, for less money. It has non-twist straps and a pretty easy to use harness adjuster.
The ComfortSport is safe, if you love it, but it has an adjuster that gets crammed into seatbacks when installed rearfacing, sometimes has an over-rotation problem in some cars (lies down flat when you don't want it to), a slightly more complicated harness system (like changing the harness height and crotch strap), and lower top slots, so it rarely lasts kids longer than age 3 (but, again, it's not unsafe...if you love it, it works in your car, and you don't care that it will last like a year less than the Touriva, then really, it's OK)
OK, I'm so wishy washy, lol... those are the features between the two, anyway... It's important to make sure Grandma uses it properly EVERY time... these seats ARE harder to use than the Roundabout...so much so, that some parents put the harder-to-use seat in their car, and the Roundabout in Grandma's car.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

sobers3
10-05-2005, 09:57 AM
As a Grandma, I have zero tolerance for the puzzle buckle that the Touriva has. I just flatly refuse to buy a seat with one. So that would be another plus for a Graco Seat from me. BTW, I love my Platinum Cargo seats. Mary

Joolsplus2
10-05-2005, 10:10 AM
Cosco heard you, they ditched the puzzle buckles...phew! (and you, by the way, are one of our exceptional grandmas, I have to say :D)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

sobers3
10-05-2005, 06:15 PM
I will have to take a look at those. It's nice to know some manufacturers listen! Thanks for the compliment Julie! Mary

niferbee
10-05-2005, 07:33 PM
Thanks! I'll have to look for the Scenera at Walmart this weekend for grandma!

I doubt we'll be putting the RA in grandma's car :) If we did that, my husband would probably buy an RA the next week, or I'd hear him complaining for the next 2+ years!

We went to TRU to try out the Evenflo Triumph, and we had one of the salespeople come out and bring it to the car to try it out, and once my husband tried it, we went back in the store, left (we weren't planning on buying that day), he said "We're getting the RA". So, story over :)