PDA

View Full Version : Do I HAVE to have the installation inspected?

doberbrat
10-09-2005, 06:42 PM
I have the LatchLoc by Baby Trend. I used the latch installation and the level indicator is good. It doesnt move at all. Do I really need to get it inspected?

I have to say, the LatchLoc seemed like installation for dummies it was so easy! I LOVE the seat already (ugly plaid color asside *LOL*)

I know I'll want to w/DH's car since that'll have to be installed w/seatbelts and that seems way more complicated.

I dont want to be 'lazy' and not get it done if I need to but it just seemed so easy it seems like a waste to make the appt. I'm not sure how I could have gotten it 'wrong'.

I'll have to do my car and DH's car seperately since my town only does it 2x a month and I cant get an apt this month so I'll have to do it at work (30mi away).

WDYT?

KrisM
10-09-2005, 07:29 PM
I don't think I'd have it inspected, if you're sure. We used the LatchLoc and it's hard to get it in loose! Our only problem was getting the right angle. Our seats in the car aren't flat, so we couldn't get it reclined enough with the rigid LATCH and ended up using the belts. But, if you're confident about that, I'd skip it, if I were you.

elliput
10-09-2005, 09:21 PM
I wouldn't bother with an inspection for the LATCH install as long as the angle is correct. I didn't for just the reasons you are stating - rock solid and angle is correct. The LL seat is not commonly seen so there is a strong possibility that it will be something new to the car seat inspector.

murphydog77
10-09-2005, 11:43 PM
It's a great seat for LATCH, isn't it? Just shove and go!

But, just because the install is great doesn't mean you're using the seat properly. I'd still make an appointment and take the baby with you when you go to make sure you're using the harness correctly. At checkup events, a lot of times the seats come in tight, but the harness is in the wrong slots, the chest clip is too low, and the harness is too loose. Throw in aftermarket items and, well, you won't be wasting anyone's time, I assure you :).

Heather, CPS Tech
http://www.CarSeatSite.com

doberbrat
10-10-2005, 10:02 AM
That’s a really good point. I’ll get DH’s car done now sans baby since we have to use the seatbelts and then get mine done w/baby to double check fit etc.

Never occurred to me! Thanks!!

Joolsplus2
10-10-2005, 10:16 AM
You might have to ask them specifically to show you how the seat works... I have gotten so many clients who went to police/firefighter techs who said no way did anyone mention the harness to them, just installed the base and let them leave. Yikes!

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx