PDA

View Full Version : DS loosening the strap on the MA

barbarhow
10-11-2005, 09:00 AM
The little monkey is reaching down and flipping up the lever so that the straps loosen up. He has done this several times now. I can't see how it is possible if they are tight enough that he can reach down and do this. I guess he has long arms. I have told him that he can't do it and attempted to explain why but I am not sure that in his 2 1/2 yo mischievous mind he gets it. It scare the you know what out of me the other day when he did it and we were driving on the highway. He can get it loosened even when I tuck the strap way down.
Any experience? Any thoughts? TIA
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

Joolsplus2
10-11-2005, 09:46 AM
Oooh, the little stinker ;)
Try tucking it way under and then safety pinning the flap shut (from the inside if possible... he's clearly going to want to learn to work THAT).
Do you have a seat for Anna yet? Maybe you could get a Roundabout or Decathlon for Jack, since it has a push-button strap adjuster kids can't mess with, and put her in the MA when she's out of the infant seat?
Let's see, what did I do when my ds was that age and actually unbuckled hiself on the freeway... oh...<blush> I screamed bloody murder... must've been effective, since he wouldn't even try to touch a seatbelt or harness again till he was well over 5... I can't say I recommend that course of action...but man, I was on the freeway, and he was standing up... Mama Bear took over my brain!

Positive reinforcement and rewards for staying buckled up till you are blue in the face will probably be pretty effective in the long run... sing a little seatbelt song...let him help buckle himself up... whatever keeps him distracted...

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Aunt to sweet baby boy
10-11-2005, 10:21 AM
Jools advice is great but something that i heard that worked was to cut a piece of cardboard and put it in front of the flap. Also just lots of positive reinforcement and have him help you buckle him and unbuckle him when he is getting into the seat.

GL

barbarhow
10-11-2005, 02:41 PM
Makes me feel better that it has happened to the CPS tech, you know? I will try the safety pin, thanks.
I did do the freak out thing-He has gotten so good at pushing my buttons. I will keep doing the positive reinforcement. Thanks Julie!
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!