PDA

View Full Version : Grrrrr this Snugride is making me nuts!

clc053103
10-11-2005, 01:08 PM
I posted previously about the "tilting" Snugride base in my BMW X5. It tilts so badly in center rear position that I reinstall daily, making the "handy base" very unhandy.

At Jools' suggestion, I tried the locking clip install- would you believe it still tips in center position? So I then tried regular install outboard on the passenger side- thinking that trying to get the seat out of the base from center position is what tilts the base worse- well, it was even worse. I took a 10 minute ride and DS was at a 45 degree angle by the time we arrived!!!!!

I finally tried a locking clip install in the passenger side rear- and so far, so good!!! No tipping at all.

My question is in regards to seat positioning: how much "less safe" is the outer seat position as opposed to a center seat install?? The tilting problem exists badly at center position in our Volvo and in MIL's Mercedes E320- should I try an outboard install or is it worth the extra degree of safety to just keep reinstalling the base at center position?

Joolsplus2
10-11-2005, 01:16 PM
Why didn't you just use the LATCH in the outboard position?
Could save you a lot of hassle...if you have LATCH in that car (do you? what year is it?)

It's really NOT a big deal to use the outboard position versus the middle...what's most important is a good install and a correctly used seat, particularly in such safe cars :)

And the bonus is, it's easier to pop the seat into the base.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

clc053103
10-11-2005, 02:07 PM
Yes it is MUCH easier to get the seat into the base. I wish I made this move 3 months ago as doing it post c section was terrible!!

The car is a 2004- definitely has LATCH. I was just told with this seat in this particular car, I needed a seatbelt install- I was in the hospital and MIL took the car, so I didn't get any more detail than that. Now after reading more- I am understanding that a LATCH install can usually not be done in center position, which is why seatbelt was used?

Would you recommend I switch to a LATCH install, outboard? And for the Britax seats of my future- would you recommend latch or seatbelt install assuming due to rear face tilting issues, I keep the seat in the outboard location?