PDA

View Full Version : Britax Baby safe...what's so special?

todzwife
10-13-2005, 09:20 PM
Why is it $300, the companion is $175...what's the difference? DH is tempted to spend extra for the baby safe since its lighter...any clues?

Joolsplus2
10-14-2005, 09:48 AM
It's mostly the technology and design expense that went into the new base: it has a foot to prevent overrecline, and shelf to prevent rebound...basically, when that seat is installed properly, it pretty much 'will not move' in a crash. A friend of mine LOVES hers...but the base broke and they weren't able to fix it or replace it for her without a mega-long wait...so they sent her something else to make up for it (I think some covers? I forgot exactly, lol).

On most seats, an extra base is like $50...and extra base for this thing costs $180! :D
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

todzwife
10-14-2005, 01:08 PM
Well, we'd only need 1 base because DH's car is too small for an infant seat.

SO I found one site that has them on sale for $200...would you still recommend the chicco over the baby safe? The sale is only over the weekend, so I need to make a decision. Personally, I like the look of the chicco better, so it really doesn't matter to me. :) Oh- and if it makes a difference, this baby will be in the outboard position because DS is FF because he gets car sick and I read somewhere it's better to have the kid who is FF in the middle because it's safer????

Joolsplus2
10-14-2005, 06:43 PM
I'd skip it and go with the Chicco... I just think they need a few tweaks in the BabySafe before it's my top pick (really, broken, irreplaceable bases? We can live without that, lol).
Yup, FF kid in the middle... as long as being next to the baby isn't dangerous to the baby (some big siblings 'help' by 'loving' the baby a lot...like, by sticking fingers in their eyes, hehehehe)...fingers crossed it works out because you don't need any carsickness!
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

todzwife
10-14-2005, 06:52 PM
I can't thank you enough...I REALLY can't thank you enough for your advice, you are such an asset to this board! HUGS!