PDA

View Full Version : What should I do?

westgre
10-14-2005, 06:40 PM
I have a 34 month old DD, 37" tall and 34 pounds. She is currently in a Marathon in the main car and a Graco Platinum Cargo in my hubby's car occasionally. We also have a Roundabout and a Graco Snugride that she's outgrown.
I'm due in March with #2. What should I do about the seat situation? Here are my concerns:
1. The Snugride is supposed to be difficult to install with a lap/shoulder belt. Is it so difficult that I would be happier buying a new infant seat? Or should I just deal with the difficult installation? Or, should I use the Roundabout or Marathon with #2 from birth?
2. If I do use an infant seat, what do I do after #2 outgrows it? Should I buy #2 a Marathon? Or should I buy DD a Young Sport and hand her Marathon down to #2? I like the idea of the 5 point harness until 65 pounds, but I also like the idea of purchasing a seat I can use the longest.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Gretchen
Lyra (12/30/02)
EDD 3/23/06

Joolsplus2
10-14-2005, 06:49 PM
Gosh, if you put the baby in the Graco (it's not THAT hard to learn to use a locking clip properly...), and then put him/her in the RA, it will be years before the RA expires, and your older dd might be ready for a booster or Husky or even whatever else is available then... really, you're looking at like 3 years till you need a new seat (well, except for the Cargo.. but I'm sure you have 18 months still in that, harnessed).
Now, if you WANT a new seat, keep reading up on them till March, and see if you can't live without one (I'm baaaaad! I will never tell you NOT to buy a new seat ;))...and we'll see what other higher weight options are available by then.
34 pounds and 37 inches and too big for the RA? Does she have a really, really long torso? (some kids make it to 44 inches before their shoulders are above the top slots in the seat shell or the tops of their ears are at the top of the seatback...but usually at least 40 inches is how long most kids make it).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

westgre
10-14-2005, 07:00 PM
If I use the Snugride for baby, that will give me about 6 months. Then, I'll put baby in the Roundabout in my car, but will need a second seat for hubby's car. This is where I question buying a Marathon for baby or buying a Young Sport for DD and handing down her Marathon.
I guess DD's torso is very long -- I know she got her short legs from me. Yep, her shoulders are already even with the top slots of the Roundabout, so she's in the Marathon now.
Thanks,
Gretchen
Lyra (12/30/02)
EDD 3/23/06

Joolsplus2
10-15-2005, 10:44 AM
Ok, got it... so you'll need a new seat starting next summer/fall for the second car.... Hmmm... There still might be some good seats coming out, like the Cosco Apex or the Profile (www.skjp.com) that might be attaractive, and even Graco has a possible new ff-only seat, and Recaro is working on one that goes to 50 pounds... so, lots of choices, and at the very least, a long time to hunt down a bargain on a Marathon or Boulevard or Decathlon or even Regent (new Husky).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx