PDA

View Full Version : Hoping to have more kids...how many carseats?

momchi
10-15-2005, 01:29 PM
DS is 6 months and I need a convertible seat for him now (he's 26", 17 lbs). I'm debating on buying a Britax (Canadian) Marathon, with height limits to 49" and weight to 48 lbs. But I want more kids! LOL Is the trend to purchase new seats for your kids or is the hand-me-down routine usually done?

If I get the Roundabout, I'll get a 40" height and 40lb limit. I'm so new to this, being a first-time mom...this takes some calculating...

Ok...given that my kid is average for H & W at 6 months (I know, there might be a growth spurt later) and I'd like another child when DS is 2.5-3 y.o., is a Roundabout a better deal to hand-down to the next child? Would Ds need another convertible (I don't know kids sizes..a booster might be too early). Or is maxing out the 6-year life of a Britax for each child better?

And these Canadian Marathons...would they really last me compared to the RA? How long does a kid gain 8lbs? (Remind me again why these Marathons go to only 48 lbs and not 65lbs like in the US??)

I've tried reading PP to see if similar sitations arose for others...though I didn't find anyone tackle my issue dead-on. TIA!!

Joolsplus2
10-15-2005, 02:01 PM
Oooh, tough choices... hmmm...
The maximum weight limit on all seats in Canada is 48 pounds, because that's how the law is written, basically (There might be a special needs seat or two that is bigger, but nothing for the general population).
When people start with a Marathon for the first kid, I really just advise them to get a second marathon for the second kid, because kids can mostly use the MA for the full 6 year lifespan. But a lot of people start off with the Roundabout and then buy the Marathon later when the baby needs the Roundabout. But I also think the Marathon is a great choice...it really does fit fine in 99% of cars, lasts the longest...is really the most flexible choice (because kids can outgrow the Roundabout at age 3... there's no guarantee they'll make it to a more appropriate booster age or size in the Roundabout, which is especially an important consideration in Canada, where NO boosters are legal to use before 40 pounds).
So, there's definitely nothing *wrong* with starting out with a Roundabout, it's really an awesome seat, and even easier to install rearfacing with seatbelts than the Marathon is.
Maybe you can even start with the RA now, and move to a different seat like a Platinum Cargo later (also goes to 48 pounds harnessed and top tethered, in Canada, not the US)...you'll be losing some of the Britax quality, but it's still a reasonable choice (and cheaper...).

So, no definitive answer, it's just something you have to think through a bit. You can't go wrong either way, really :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

momchi
10-15-2005, 08:11 PM
Thanks, Julie. I went out today and got us a Marathon. I hope his crying was a temporary event and not indicative of his hatred for the seat. He did eventually pass out in it, though.

Thanks again!

Joolsplus2
10-16-2005, 07:49 AM
Cool, hope you love it. I'm sure he was just minimally shocked by the difference ;)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx