PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendation for carseat for twins/Honda Civic

ktandgt
10-16-2005, 01:36 AM
I have 1 1/2 year old 22 pound twins that are FF. I have hand me down car seats and am looking to get some new ones. Right now we have a Honda Civic 4 door but will be getting a van sometime in the future. We are looking for carseats that will be good for both vehicles. And since I have two in carseats I need to be able to fit them both in the one car. Since we are buying two we really don't have the money to go all out. However I don't want to sacrifice safety.
I saw the Evenflo Titan in CR but have not read much about them here. Any info on those? Also, looking at the Triumph? Any other ideas?
Oh, we don't have latch right now, our Civic is a 2000. But we are planning on getting a 2003 when we get a van.
Thanks!
Karen

Joolsplus2
10-16-2005, 07:41 AM
If you aren't going to rearface them anymore (should I try to convince you? It is hands down the safest way for kids to travel... ), then I would not even bother with a convertible seat. I'd look at the Graco Platinum or Ultra or Cherished Cargo, which has EPS head protective foam, deep supportive sidewings, comfy padding, recline bars, nice harness adjusters with non-twist straps, and tall top harness slots. The Evenflo Combo/harnessed boosters (Generations/Traditions/Chase) are also nice, if you happen to prefer them for any reason (tall top slots, front harness adjusters).
Since you aren't rearfacing, make sure to use your top tethers, they are a huge safety feature (2000 Civics have those, right? If not, go get some, they are called "plate assemblies" and are super-cheap and easy to install).

Have fun shopping... don't forget BRU has a Twins discount :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

ktandgt
10-17-2005, 02:01 AM
If you could convince me to RF :) what would you suggest? Again I really need to keep it under $150 each, preferably around $120.00.

I looked at some consumer reviews on the Graco Platinum and Ultra and unfortunately they didn't get good reviews.

Joolsplus2
10-17-2005, 07:05 AM
Skip Consumer Reports, they are not open with their research methods...we don't know what those little red or black circles mean.... The Cargos are good for the reasons I mentioned, they are second only to Britax in their harness quality and safety features, and are even certified to 48 pounds in Canada when top tethered (the Canadian version is basically the same seat...but it proves how strong the seat is) (Oh, Evenflos are good to 47 pounds in Canada top tethered, but don't have EPS foam and have slightly lower quality harnesses... Coscos, I know the Summit ranks well, but it frankly can't even pass the government's compliance testing, and has low top slots...I simply refuse to recommend it till there's a recall, and even then, only for a short stocky kid).

Check the link in my sig and click on "front facing too soon?" for more info on rearfacing...It's quite eye opening!

:)

ktandgt
10-17-2005, 10:32 AM
Oh I meant the consumer reviews on Amazon but thank you for the info on the Cargos I will look more into it.
I am confused, the evenflos I looked at said they have EPS foam but I am reading here that they don't. Am I looking at the wrong thing?
Thanks again...

Joolsplus2
10-18-2005, 09:17 AM
The Triumph has EPS foam, but no others. Oh well, you got Roundabouts, anyway, lol.

:D