PDA

View Full Version : Roundabout harness uncomfortable?

lranton
10-16-2005, 08:54 PM
Hi all,

I just bought the Britax Roundabout, and I'm wondering if anyone else thinks the harness seems uncomfortable for the baby. Mostly I'm dismayed that you can't adjust the length of the strap that goes between baby's legs. It's very short, so it winds up sitting very low by the crotch, and therefore the side straps wrap around and cut into her legs instead of coming around her waist, as was the case with the infant seat she just outgrew.

Becky

DebbieJ
10-16-2005, 09:27 PM
Did you route the seatbelt under the cover when installing? If so, double check that it is not on top of the crotch strap thereby making it shorter.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfed for 20 months and 6 days

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

lranton
10-16-2005, 09:42 PM
Nope, I have this problem when trying the seat out on my living room floor. I've thoroughly examined it and the strap in question is only about 2" long from the base of the buckle to its termination on the underside of the seat. There's no way to adjust the length because there's no extra strap to let out. I'm a bit puzzled.

murphydog77
10-16-2005, 11:15 PM
Hi Becky. Britax harnesses are just different than other seats in the way they come over the thighs instead of up over the hips. It's just something you get used to. IME, it's a comfort issue for parents more than it is for kids with chubby thighs (and my ds had ultra chubby thighs). Just make sure to loosen the harness when you take her out of the seat (and tighten it when you put her in) and cover her thighs with clothing and she'll be fine.

Also, check for harness snugness at her shoulders by trying to pinch up and down; if you can take a pinch, the harness is too loose. You can see how to do the pinch test here: http://www.carseatsite.com/correct_harness_use.htm .

Heather, CPS Tech
http://www.CarSeatSite.com

momchi
10-17-2005, 12:32 AM
I have this same problem with the Marathon, which I just bought yesterday. I had shorts on my DS and it left red marks on his baby thighs (he's 6 months). He was screaming in the car seat, but I couldn't tell you if it really was the car seat or not. I tried to loosen it at the thighs, but just couldn't get a good enough tightness on the harness otherwise. Maybe it just takes getting used to? I haven't driven anywhere else since purchasing the car seat, so I'll have to see what's up with it.

I guess Britax thought it was just as safe to make harnesses come across the thighs like that? I'm not yet "in love" with the Marathon, but I hope I made the right purchase in doing so, despite the thigh harness, the short crotch strap, AND I still have to get used to the HUGS system. I guess I was spoiled with his SnugRide harness!

Aunt to sweet baby boy
10-17-2005, 01:57 AM
I am not sure if you guys know but rf the hugs do not need to be used. The hugs are the plastic pieces that must be used on the harness ff but not rf. You can also take off the soft velcro covers on the shoulder straps if it helps you get a better fit in the seat.

Ilana and avi rf in a MA and DC weighing in at 26 lbs and 31 inches!

Joolsplus2
10-17-2005, 07:16 AM
ONLY tighten the straps at the shoulders...if you are tugging and tugging and tugging to get them tight over the torso, then those poor little thighs are gonna get rubbed raw. So, tug, release, tug, release,the adjuster strap, and then make sure the harness is snug, but not too tight, ONLY on the shoulders (like a bra band...not pinching, but not falling off, you know?)

Also, don't forget the belly pad goes on the belly, not under the bum. (and yeah, you can take the rubber HUGS off the MA when it's rearfacing...they MUST be put back on for forward facing)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Momof3Labs
10-17-2005, 09:01 AM
We've been using a MA and a RA (2 diff cars) for almost 3 years now, and DS loves them! But when he wears shorts, I am always careful to pull the shorts between his legs and the straps. Not sure if he cares, but I'd rather have a little fabric between the snug harness and his legs.

momchi
10-18-2005, 08:46 PM
I'll have to read the manual on how to remove the plastic pieces!

Julie: in order to get a good fit then, shouldn't the harness on the thigh/hips be taut too? Wouldn't there be a possiblity of the harness loosening if it wasn't?

Hopefully by removing the HUGS parts it'll be easier to get him fastened in. Can anyone tell me why you need them ff and not rf?

Thanks! ;)

Joolsplus2
10-19-2005, 06:22 AM
The HUGS reduce head excursion... they literally hold the head and body back better in an FF seat in a frontal crash. Notice how they look like the pads on luggage that keep the straps from digging into your shoulders? They also reduce injury from the harness. When rearfacing, the harness doesn't really do much at all, the seatback is absorbing all the force (which is why we rearface as long as possible: A nice big bowl of foam is better protection than a couple inches of polyester and rubber).
I promise, once the straps are tight enough on the shoulders, they won't loosen up on the thighs any more...that harness adjuster has teeth like an alligator, and a death grip on the adjuster strap. Just make sure you can't pinch any of the strap vertically (you'll go to pinch it up and down, and your fingers will just slide along it), and it's fine, I promise (see? I said it twice? I promise! LOL).

I really must get a picture of 'harness pinching' on my photobucket...

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

momchi
10-19-2005, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the help! So, it's ok to "keep it loose" on the thighs? i'm slowly getting used to the carseat, having had to take DS in and out of it 3 times yesterday.

Cheryl :)