PDA

View Full Version : Skipping infant seat - which Britax??

turtledove
10-18-2005, 03:02 PM
Is there any real advantage to getting the Britax Boulevard over the Decathalon, or the Decathalon over the Marathon? I want to use it from birth, assuming baby is at least 5 pounds. I want to get the best seat for my baby, but don't know if the extra money is realy worth it. Is it worth it to get one of the more expensive seats for our "main" baby vehicle - Ford Freestyle (no space constraints) and get the Marathon for our other vehicle - Volvo S60 (possible space constraints)? Any opinions would be great.

TIA!

melbb
10-18-2005, 03:58 PM
I am skipping the infant seat and getting the Decathlon. The Decathlon and Boulevard have an infant insert, so it is more cushy and infant-friendly. The Boulevard has the wings, which provide side-impact protection. I plan to install in the center seat, so don't think the side-impact protection is neccessary. And if I have to install outbound, we have side head-curtain airbags. Other than that, I can't say anything else. There isn't much of a price difference between the Marathon and Decathlon (unless there are some closeout Marathons to get rid of old fabrics).

o_mom
10-18-2005, 05:37 PM
The DC has a push-button adjuster, which some prefer to the lever adjuster on the MA/BV. There are some older kids who figure out how to release the lever adjuster, but that can be worked around.

The DC has a single LATCH strap vs two separate straps on the MA/BV. I find it easier to install, since you can tighten from either side which can be an issue if you have another seat next to it. Others feel the two separtate straps are safer? You also don't have the LATCH bars on the sides of the DC.

The BV harness height can be adjusted without removing the straps - very handy. It also has side impact protection wings.

The price differences are small - $249 (219 closeout), $269, $289 - $40-70 difference over 5-6 years of use is not much. I suggest going to BRU and try all three - put them on the test bench, try out the harnesses, look at how to switch from front to rear facing and see if any of these bother you. Borrow a baby to test with if you can :-)

kijip
10-19-2005, 12:00 AM
All of the seats are the same size, on the same basic shell so size should not be an issue- you are not going to save any space by getting the Marathon for the smaller car. All are great seats and should fit into both cars. I would try them out at BRU and see which one you like best and then shop online. The infant body pillows are cushy but the Marathon is a great seat and well padded by itself. And of course, the Marathon offeres the best covers!

AdoptChina
10-20-2005, 09:06 AM
I asked this before but never got an answer.....whats the difference btwn the decathalon, marathon and boulevard? Are all 3 the same size just different features? I need something bigger like the MArathon, not smaller like the roundabout
thanks!

o_mom
10-20-2005, 02:52 PM
OK, I'll start the comparison and edit to add anything others think of:

All three are the same size - 5-33lbs rearfacing, up to 65lbs forward facing and dimension-wise are pretty much the same.

Adjuster: DC has a push-button adjuster, MA and BV have a lever-type adjuster

Harness height adjustment: BV has a knob you turn to move the harness height up and down without removing straps, MA and DC you remove and re-thread the straps.

Padding: DC and BV come with infant inserts - more padding for small babies, DC has an infant head positioner where the BV has the wings. DC and BV also have a toddler pillow. MA has no extra padding, but is still quite cushy.

Crotch strap: DC has three crotch strap positions, BV/MA have one.

LATCH connectors: DC has a single strap that is threaded through the belt path. MA and BV have two separate straps attached to bars on the sides of the seat.

Seatbelt lockoffs: DC has slightly different style than MA and BV

Side impact protection: BV has True Side Impact Protection in the form of head support wings. MA and DC have EPS foam around the head.

Covers: BV and DC come in 4-5 different shades of ugly, MA has loads of really cool fabrics. (OK, that last part is my opinion :-) )

Edited for spelling

AdoptChina
10-20-2005, 04:59 PM
questions....
--the DC and the MA do not have side protection and the BV does right?

--the only real differences btwn the DC & the MA are the adjuster and the insert right? (not worried about LATCH)

o_mom
10-20-2005, 05:26 PM
>questions....
>--the DC and the MA do not have side protection and the BV
>does right?

Yes, but I believe that some of the techs have seen video of testing by Britax and the DC and/or MA still does a good job of side impact protection, the BV is just better. DC and MA have EPS foam around the head which is very good, the BV has the wings which come out farther for more protection.

>--the only real differences btwn the DC & the MA are the
>adjuster and the insert right? (not worried about LATCH)

Yes and No. I just remembered that the DC has three crotch strap positions MA and BV only have one. Also the built in lock offs on the DC are a different style.

The adjuster on the MA is a lever, which some people don't like and some older kids learn to release, The DC has a push button style release.

The DC 'insert' is actually three pieces - a toddler pillow at the top of the seatback, a head support, which goes just above the shoulder straps and a body pillow which goes behind and around the body. You can use any or all of the pieces at one time.

AdoptChina
10-21-2005, 11:28 AM
thank you so much! This is making me lean towards the Decathalon :)

momof1squirt
10-22-2005, 05:07 PM
I wanted to add a question here as I have been following all the Britax seat discussions. Which is the safest/best choice - multiple crotch strap positions or just one? I am planning to use a Britax seat from 5 months till she outgrows it.

Thanks,
Andrea W :)

o_mom
10-22-2005, 07:24 PM
The multiple position gives you the ability to tweek the fit a bit, but having sais that, at six months we are using the largest setting, so the adjustability has been irrelavant for us. I think it is mainly a comfort/convenience thing, not so much a safety. If the crotch depth is too short, you will be digging for the buckle more is all.

momof1squirt
10-23-2005, 11:00 AM
Thanks! My decision got a lot easier - I just have to have that Cowmooflage!
Andrea W :)