PDA

View Full Version : Scary carseat experience

o_mom
10-19-2005, 08:34 AM
Had a friends DC overnight last week and had to drop off the next day. They left the carseat for me and I went to install after they left. It was the dreaded Alpha Omega. The DC is approaching 40 lbs, but not quite there. (They use a booster in the second car)

First thing I notice it the headrest is in the top position. Thanks to the techs here, I knew to look and sure enough it is marked (not well, BTW) as Booster Only. So I call and ask if they are using it as a booster - no, still in harness. OK, so I drop the headrest a notch and check the straps are still a smidge above the shoulders.

Then I notice the bigger issue - They threaded the straps through the slots and then ignored the big giant lettering which says to route them OVER the metal bar. They were just straight down from the slot. I was shocked - I mean the booster position I could understand - it is stamped on the back in the same color as the plastic, but this is a huge sticker with the warning and picture on it. I didn't even call them on this one, just rethreaded the harness and mentioned it (along with the headrest position) on drop off. The mom thanked me, but I don't think she quite got the danger involved....

Thanks to all the wonderful techs here, I knew what to look for, and hopefully have made a child a bit safer.

mom2acrew
10-19-2005, 12:11 PM
Good catch:) I find that too some parents are so relieved, others are like "oh yeah thanks" like whatever.

Joolsplus2
10-19-2005, 02:37 PM
Wow, that IS scary! I'm so glad you knew a 'what to look for' and were able to fix it! :) (so that THIS kind of thing wouldn't happen http://www.carseat.org/Technical/brokencs.htm)

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

o_mom
10-19-2005, 04:24 PM
Once I looked close and realized the point of the harness going over the bars, I got a sick feeling. Just thinking about what would have happened if they were in an accident almost made me cry.

For those that haven't ever seen this seat, the slot are part of the headrest which moves up and down - there is a metal bar on the back that would hold the straps in case of a crash. If the straps are not routed over the bar, all that holds them is the plastic slots in the headrest.