PDA

View Full Version : seat inspections

jhrabosk
10-19-2005, 12:52 PM
I'm a little freaked out that I'm not going to get my seat inspection done in time! Does anyone know how long it usually takes to get an appointment?

We didn't get our car seat installed until last weekend and none of the places listed on seatcheck.org are particularly close to us, meaning that we can only get there on a weekend. I'm due next week, but feel as though the baby may come at any time.

Are there resources other than seatcheck.org? Also, DH feels confident that the seat is installed securely...if we can't get an appointment before baby comes, can I breathe a little easier that we'll make it home ok? :)

We really don't drive very much, so baby probably won't be in the car in the near future other than the trip home from the hospital...

TIA,
Jessica

bensmom
10-19-2005, 02:25 PM
It might be worth calling some of the places and at least see what you can get set up. I think it really depends on the area in terms of how long it takes to get an appointment.

As for whether you can relax for your drive home if you don't get the seat checked, online help is definitely no substitute for an actual seat check, but maybe if you can share a picture or tell us what seat you used, what vehicle, where in the vehicle and whether you used LATCH or the seatbelt, we can at least give you some tips, or point out common mistakes?

Ilana

CPS Tech and mom

jhrabosk
10-19-2005, 05:23 PM
Thanks so much for your reply! I've called one place and made an appointment (the other names are at home...I'll call tomorrow), but it's not until 11/8.

In the meantime, it's a Snug Ride (new one, with the higher limits), installed in a 1999 Subaru Forrester. Unfortunately, we don't have LATCH, so it's a seatbelt install.

We tried to install in the center, but DH has very long legs and it wouldn't fit. So, we pulled the front passenger seat forward (which I'm not thrilled about...I don't like being that close to the airbag or windshield, but I suppose I'll spend a good amount of time riding in the back anyway) and installed behind the front passenger seat. The base feels secure and the car seat is completely level when we snap it in. It's also completely wedged behind the passenger seat, so I don't think there's really anywhere for it to go.

Tips and pointers are most certainly welcome! And we definitely plan to keep our inspection appointment...the trip home from the hospital may be the only time in the car before then anyway.

Thanks!
Jessica

o_mom
10-19-2005, 06:00 PM
The techs can chime in here, but I'm pretty sure you can leave the handle up on the SnugRide in the car, which can give you a couple more inches to move the seat back.

mom2acrew
10-19-2005, 07:26 PM
The handle needs to be all the way down or all the way up. If your handle has 5 positions A,B,C,D,&E A being the carry position, you may use A,D&E only. Subarus can be difficult because the seat belt anchors are far apart in the center position. We have been able to do it though you may need to twist your buckle stalk.

I would try to not ride in the front w/ the seat pulled up, you will be too close to the air bag and your new baby needs you to stay safe too!

I agree online help is not as good as real life help, I would try your local police stations and possibly a AAA office, just make sure they are Certified Passenger Safety Technicians! You might call your local Safe Kids coalition too to see if anyone does personal consultations here in our area for a $20 donation to SK you can get someone to meet you pretty quickly.

Jodi CPST

bensmom
10-19-2005, 08:02 PM
Sounds like you guys have done your research! Here's the main things I can think of that often come up:

Make sure that there is less than one inch of movement at the belt path - where the seatbelt goes through the base of the Snugride. It's completely normal for the back of the base (the part closest to the front seat) to be looser.

It's been a while since I installed my Snugride in a Subaru and I can't remember how the seatbelts lock. If it's a switchable retractor (where you pull the shoulder portion all the way out to "lock" the belt), you might need a locking clip so the seat doesn't tip over time. If it's a lightweight locking latchplate, just make sure it locks. Heather's website explains it much better than I can and is probably worth a read if you are at all unsure on how your belts work:
http://www.carseatsite.com/lockingclips.htm

Other than that, the other posters are correct. The handle of the Snugride can be left up (the "A" position), if that helps with some extra legroom in front.

In addition to the install, make sure when you put the baby in the seat, you tighten the straps - one finger under the straps at the collarbone. Also, the harness clip goes at the chest (armpit level) not the belly button -although on a newborn, that's sometimes the same place for the clip!

GL and congrats!

Ilana

CPS Tech and mom

doberbrat
10-20-2005, 05:13 AM
I think it totally depends. It took a month to get the police to call me back in our town b/c they're so busy. But they did bump me right up to the top of the list when they found out I'm being induced today :) unfortunatelly, my appt isnt till Sunday, but I"m pretty confident about the installation in my van using latch. MUCH LESS Confident about the installation in DH's car w/seatbelt.

Call your local police/fire station and if there's a local Children's Hosp that can be a good resource.

Actually, I noticed that SOME BabiesRus have safety checks too. check online