PDA

View Full Version : Yikes! Charlie's above RA height! Bad mama!

wagner36
10-20-2005, 09:09 PM
I finally dug out our RA manual because I couldn't remember the height limitation. I vaguely remembered something about the tops of ears being over the back of the seat, but my manual clearly states that it is the ear-thing OR 40" - and then their website says:

"Q. Previously I was advised I could use my older Roundabout rear facing up to 33 lbs. and no standing height requirement. Why is Britax now saying I cannot?
    A. Britax continuously tests and reviews products, as well as our frequently asked questions. Based on continuous improvement reviews, Britax Child Safety has determined rear facing weight capacity and height limitations should be followed as recommended per the manual supplied and labels affixed to the individual restraint. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused."

Charlie has been 40" for months, so it is time to buy a new seat. I was going to go with the Marathon, but I didn't even realize until I came here tonight that there were other options.

Should I buy the Marathon, the Boulevard or the Decathalon? Currently he is FF (36 pounds), center position, latch install. When the new baby comes, he'll have to be moved to one side.

Which one? Please help! Feeling totally guilty!!

DebbieJ
10-20-2005, 09:54 PM
Oh, don't feel guilty, mamma! Charlie is just fine!

As for a new seat, you can't go wrong with the Marathon. Someone just posted a deal at Target.com with 10% off and free shipping.

The Boulevard would get you the side impact wings. No telling if Charlie will like them or not.

The Decathalon I think would be overkill at this point as its main feature is an infant insert.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfed for 20 months and 6 days

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

Joolsplus2
10-21-2005, 07:25 AM
Nah, not a bad mama at all!..they only put a height limit to comply with FMVSS 213 rules... really you have till his shoulders are above the top slots...some kids make it to 42+ inches, because they have short torsoes and long legs :).

Do you actually *have* LATCH in your center position??? Some cars do, most cars don't, and you can't just use the outboard LATCHes unless the manual says it's ok.

Anyway, all those other seats are great...the Decathlon has more crotch space (the strap has a further-out position), the Marathon and Boulevard have one inch LESS space than the Roundabout. The Husky or Regent might also be a good choice, since he's a really big boy... or TRU/BRU are now carrying the Cosco/Safety 1st Apex or Lancer (it could be called any combination of those, there's some confusion about the name right now, lol) that goes to 65 harnessed 100 as a booster, for only $129, but has only been spotted in one store in Wisconsin so far).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

o_mom
10-21-2005, 08:28 AM
Here's the comparison thread I started yesterday:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=13&topic_id=32426&mesg_id=32513&page=

Since you have the RA already, you may want to head down to BRU and compare the three in person. The DC is the most RA-like, but the BV would have the side impact protection.

Can you keep him center when the baby comes, or will two seats not fit that way?

wagner36
10-21-2005, 12:52 PM
Thanks! Yep, we have center latch too. DH spent hours on the phone with the engineers last year discussing the distance between the two center anchors (something like 11 inches? I don't recall) because he thought they "felt" further apart then the ones on the side even though the manual say it is okay.

Hmmmmm, the Marathon has one inch less crotch space? I feel like this should be an issue for us. I don't think it bugs him a lot right now, but an inch could make a difference as he gets older. Do you, by any chance, know what it is on the Husky? We'd have to buy another seat for airplanes for him, since we travel a lot and the Husky isn't approved for flights, right?

Does crotch space get to be an issue for little boys? Especially in the winter? I've never thought about it....

wagner36
10-21-2005, 12:53 PM
Thanks Deb! He might freak out about the wings, especially if they block his views of the choo-choos.

wagner36
10-21-2005, 12:54 PM
Thanks - I saw that thread! I have a strict no BRU policy, so it is all online for me! I don't think we will be able to keep him in the center, maybe the baby would fit in the center - we'll have to see if my very tall DH will be able to drive well with a seat behind him...

Joolsplus2
10-21-2005, 01:08 PM
It's pretty rare for a kid (even a boy) to complain about the crotch strap, but it does occasionally happen, especially for larger boys.. the Husky has like an 8 inch crotch strap depth (don't quote me on that, but really, there are 2 depths, and they are far out and never ever a problem for boys).
Right, no Husky on a plane.. maybe something light and cheap, like an Ultra Cargo or Evenflo Chase, till he's 40 pounds? Or let's try to find out if the new Cosco/Safety 1st Apex/Lancer (not exactly sure what it's called, but it's in stores now, harnesses to 65 pounds) is FAA approved... or maybe the RideSafer Travel Vest...which you can't use ON the plane, but is easy to pack and use and more restraining than a booster for a little guy.

:)

o_mom
10-21-2005, 01:13 PM
I understand not buying from BRU, but I have no problem going there to look in person. We were there a few weeks ago to compare all three seats and then ordered online. :-)

darby24
10-22-2005, 02:08 AM
>Does crotch space get to be an issue for little boys?

Yup.

My nephew has started complaining this past month that it's too tight in his Marathon. I got to play with a Decathlon recently and tried him in it with the strap furthest away and he was fine. He's 3 (coming 3.5) weighs 38lbs, haven't checked his height recently (he's tall though) and is in the top slots.

tjham
10-22-2005, 02:19 AM
Gee, why in the world would they make the crotch space SMALLER in a carseat that has a higher weight limit? That just doesn't make any sense!

Joolsplus2
10-22-2005, 03:41 PM
Yeah, it's definitely a head-scratcher, that!