PDA

View Full Version : Cosco Apex 65

sobers3
10-21-2005, 07:04 PM
I called Cosco today to find out when we can expect the Apex 65 and the CS person told me that they have been shipped to all the BRU and TRU and should be on the shelves. I called a few BRU and TRU in Northern NJ, but they don't have them yet. Did anyone see them yet? Mary

nisi
10-21-2005, 09:41 PM
Call again and ask for the Lancer. The box says "Safety 1st Apex 65" but for some reason the store has it listed as the Cosco Lancer. I'm pretty sure Lancer is the name of the fabric, hence the confusion.

I couldn't resist buying one to check it out. I snapped a few pics tonight. Take a look
http://photobucket.com/albums/y247/cpsnisi/Cosco%20Safety%201st%20Apex/

Nisi
CPS tech and mom of 2 in seats

o_mom
10-21-2005, 11:01 PM
Would you mind posting the measurements? The width at the base in particular and how it would compare to a Graco Cargo.

Thanks!

nisi
10-22-2005, 09:46 AM
I don't have my CarGo any more so I can't compare side by side but the Apex is definitely larger. I got about 20" at the base. The footprint is narrower but it sits so low that the seat area is what you'd have to work around in a 3 across situation. It is about 1" wider at the wings in the torso area. It weighs about 13lb.

Other measurements I took last night, all without optional padding insert...

Harness slot heights
9.5"
12"
14.5"
17.25"
The bottom slots are useless. The baby in the pictures would already need the 2nd slots and she's nowhere near the 34" minimum height.

Crotch buckle depths
4"
5.5"
7"

Seat depth is 12.5" from seat back to where it starts to curve downward.

Belt guide at the highest setting is 22.5" from seat. It is just below my shoulder and I'm 5'2".

Back height is 30.5" but midpoint of the child's head must not be above the top of the *vehicle* seat back.

Hip room is kind of hard to measure because the shell curves up, but I got at least 13-14". I wear size 12 or 14 pants and I fit in it but there is no room to spare.

Hope that helps. I will hopefully try it out in a vehicle later today if it ever stops raining.

Nisi

o_mom
10-22-2005, 10:28 AM
Thanks, that helps. I have a friend that has three across and is looking at replacing/upgrading the Cargo. The child is one that should definately be harnessed as long as possible, since she is, ummm, spirited. :-) Britax just seems out of her price range. I may have her wait for the FP Britax to see if they are more affordable.

How do you think the vehicle seat back restriction will play out IRL? Will there be alot of kids outgrowing that on height before weight? This just seems so Cosco-like to put a restriction like that which will probably be overlooked by alot of parents. In the warning picture the seat does not have a headrest, can you use it longer if there is a headrest in that position?

Thanks for the info, I'd love to hear more after you try it in the vehicle.

kellyotn
10-22-2005, 11:27 AM
Huh, that head restriction is a bummer. I probably won't be able to use it in our f-350. Its a full 4-door, full back seat (don't know what "cab" it is called), but there are no headrests. I'll have to place her on the seat itself and see where her head is in relation to the top of the seat back. I'm thinking she wouldn't have much growing room. Ugh.

mamicka
10-22-2005, 07:57 PM
I called our BRU & they said that the BRUs in our region wouldn't get those in until next month sometime.

Also, how much are they at BRU?

Thanks!
Allison

Momof3Labs
10-22-2005, 08:37 PM
The guy at our Chicago suburban BRU claims that they are not there, and will not be at least through Feb 2006 (according to some reports he flipped through). The real challenge with BRU is finding someone who knows what the heck is going on!

Joolsplus2
10-23-2005, 11:42 AM
$129

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Kris0810
10-23-2005, 08:31 PM
Wanted to know when these seats would be in stores. I just bought a Graco Turbo booster that I will be returning since I have found out about the Apex 65. My son is only 3 but tall and heavy for his age. He is 41 lbs 41 in. tall. I am waiting for the Regent to come out for myself, but needed another seat for my mothers car. I am not happy with the Turbo Booster, I think it is a nice seat, but I am not comfortable with him being in Seat Belt Booster. Please help, I need to find the Apex quickly!!
Thanks,
Kristin

Momof3Labs
10-24-2005, 08:19 AM
If you read this thread, it sounds like some BRUs have them in stock, though not all do. You can always try calling Cosco for information on stores in your area.