PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy another Parkway?

3girlssofar
10-22-2005, 07:20 PM
I bought my 3dds carseats in Feb/March and my 2nd dd is outgrowing her WZ ALREADY!! She is 4 years old 45", 42lbs. My oldest dd is 7 years old 53 1/2", 63lbs and is currently in a Parkway. My "plan" was to give my 2nd dd the Parkway when my oldest outgrew it in a couple of years. I do not have side airbags in my 1999 Plymouth Voyager so I like having my 7 year old in the Parkway. Eventually, my 1 year old will go in the WZ but she is cozy in her Roundabout for now. Should I somehow convince my dh that even though we recently spent all of this money on carseats, we need to spend another $100 for a new Parkway or should I move my 7 year old out of the Parkway? My 7 year old does pass the five point test in my husband's car and the van does have those sliding seatbelt holders - so if I lowered it all the way it would lay correctly on her but no SIP!! My 4 year old may have another inch to grow before I really need to get her out of the WZ but I can't stop thinking about what I should do. Any help would be greatly appreciated! TIA! Michele

Joolsplus2
10-23-2005, 08:59 AM
No no no no no (I'm not shouting, notice ;)...don't move your 7 yo out of a booster...wait till she's at the 6 step test...where her feet reach the floor (with butt all the way back, legs bending over the seat...the shoulderbelt is the least of your worries, it's the abdominal injuries that are way more important to prevent at this age)...you will keep her in the side impact protection longer, and wait for her hipbones to develop a lot more to be able to hold the belt down and prevent abdominal injuries.
I think you really probably have more time in the WZ than you think... There's a few bigger kids still in them on this page, and you can see how the seat is still an acceptable fit with the shoulder straps curving down a bit on the shoulders http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/FFAlbum.aspx
and
http://uccomama-ivil.tripod.com/id8.html
If your 4 yo really is exceptionally taaaaaallll...then get her a Parkway, too, or a Husky ;)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Tondi G
10-27-2005, 01:53 PM
I would get another parkway but if you need to save money you could get your 7 year old a simple backless booster... at least until her feet reach the floor! It won't offer her side impact head protection but it will help position the belt properly!

Good Luck

~Tondi

3girlssofar
10-27-2005, 06:08 PM
Thank you both for your responses. I think you are right Julie, I do have more room than I think on the Wizard. I have the foofy cover over the denim cover and it looks like the straps are at her shoulders when they are actually about an inch above her shoulders. I may end up buying another one - even though my 7 year old is tall she has a ways to go before passing the six point test and even when she does pass that isn't she still safer in a Parkway? Is it recommended to go to the seat limits on the Parkway as you would on a Wizard or RA?

Joolsplus2
10-27-2005, 07:30 PM
It's safe to stay in the Parkway as long as you fit in it, yes.... some people kind of cram their slightly-too-big kids in it, because they are in a older car or truck with no headrests, say... just as long as the seatbelt is always positioned properly, it's fine (hint: I use a small, light, cheap plastic footstool from walmart so my kids have enough foot support in the Parkway...they are very long-legged and are more comfy with a place to put their feet rather than let them dangle ;) )
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

3girlssofar
10-28-2005, 09:41 AM
Thanks Julie and while I have you just want to thank you for all the knowledge you spread on this board. I've been lurking here since February and I find it addicting! Thanks for the tip about the footstool, I'm sure my long-legged dd will appreciate that! And congratulations on your pregnancy! I had my 3rd a year ago and find that my older dds are a help and it's just so enjoyable to see them all interact together. Michele