PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Advice for Travelling with Twins and 2 Car Seats

mizzum
10-23-2005, 05:37 AM
Hi,

We are flying transatlantic in December with our 15 months old twins and either 2 MAs or 2BVs. Last time we took them on our laps (never doing that again) and the time before they were in their infant seats so we just carried them.

When I tried getting to sleep the other night i started worrying out about what do do with the boys when trying to install the seats on the plane, and how to get to the plane in the 1st place! Th airport we are leaving from doesnt allow luggage trolleys past security. We are in the UK so I cant get that GoGo thing for transporting the car seats.

Oh and the airline says the boys have to FF, but I only RF in the car. Can the cabin crew insist on this? One is 22lbs the other 27lbs.

The more i think about it the more I panic!

Mizzum

Aunt to sweet baby boy
10-23-2005, 11:51 AM
Are you able to bring a stroller to the gate?

I would do one of these things:

Buy a luggage cart and put the 2 carseats on top of each other and bungee them together and have your dc in a double stroller
Buy 2 luggage carts and put your dc into their carseats on top of the luggage carts
Put the carseats onto the stroller and you and your dh each sling one of the dc and one person pushes the stroller

Getting on the plane: Ask for pre-boarding, send your dh on the plane with 1 seat ( or you if you can install the seat faster) and have the other person wait behind with the other seat and the dc. When that seat is installed come back and get the other seat and install that seat. If you have a luggage cart you could bring both seats onto the plane at this point, i just do not know how you would be able to carry 2 MA's/BV's at that time. Then come back off the plane and go to the end of the line with the people who are boarding the plane in the regular line. This way your dc will be able to run around and be confined for a shorter amount of time. When you get up to the gate check the stroller if possible, it will be waiting for you when you get out.

As for the ff/rf issue i do not think the crew can make you have the seats ff. if you show them the sticker on the seat that says rf to 33 lbs and your dc are under that you should be ok. Also i think it would be easier to entertain dc who are facing you. You may not know this but rf carseats must be put into either the window seat or if it is in the middle of the plane and there are 3-5 seats, in the middle, it can not block the exit of the row. So depending on the plane you may have to sit apart from dh and 1 dc.

Have a great trip!

o_mom
10-23-2005, 12:57 PM
For installing on the plane, what I alway do is put DC in my seat and fasten the seat belt to contain him and then install his seat.

Getting to the plane, you can get either a small luggage cart or a carry bag for the carseat with cheap stroller for DC.

No idea about the plane - although, if it is a US carrier, I believe they must follow US laws even on a code share flight. If it is a UK carrier, you may be in for a tougher time.

mizzum
10-23-2005, 01:59 PM
Thanks those are some great ideas i hadnt thought of.

We can take the buggy to the gate,I will insist in taking it to the door of the plane (first time they made us leave it at the desk at the gate and carry everything down the bridge to the plane).

I will look for some luggage carts as it is a looong way from security to the gate.I never thought of tying the 2 car seats together. Only one of them can walk and he cant walk too far without getting tired. The heavy one cant walk unfortunately!

Thanks again and keep the ideas coming everyone.

kijip
10-23-2005, 02:15 PM
You may not know this but rf carseats must be put
>into either the window seat or if it is in the middle of the
>plane and there are 3-5 seats, in the middle, it can not block
>the exit of the row. So depending on the plane you may have to
>sit apart from dh and 1 dc.

These rules apply to all carseats- FF and RF.

mizzum
10-25-2005, 04:01 AM
Bumping for anymore advice

o_mom
10-25-2005, 08:28 AM
Not much more on carseats, but for the flight bring a very dry snack, such as crackers, and when you get them in the seats, start feeding the crackers. Don't geve any drink at that point. When the wheels of the plane actually leave the ground hand out sippies of water. That way they will swallow and clear their ears all the way up. Make sure to wait until you are actually off they ground so they don't drink it all while you are waiting to take off.