PDA

View Full Version : ? about a futura harness seat on ebay that goes to 60 lbs.

websnail
10-23-2005, 02:50 PM
Is this a good seat? I haven't heard anything about them, but I've been looking for something like this. I don't like to buy used, but the other options I know about are too big or bulky including that new Apex. I don't care much for Cosco brand either.

Thanks in advance, mom to a BIG boy.

mom2acrew
10-23-2005, 05:46 PM
How old is your son? and how much does he weigh? Have you tried any of the Britax seats? Some go to 65-80#?

websnail
10-23-2005, 06:25 PM
He's 4, almost 40 lbs., and about 39" tall (short for his age). I'd like to keep him harnessed for another year or so--at least until he starts school. I was looking for something safe, inexpensive, and "big boy" looking which is why that one caught my attention.

The Britax seats are really out of my budget, but would buy if necessary. However, they are also bulky and sit up high. I don't care much for Cosco products either. I do know we've been happy with other Fisher Price products we've owned.

Thanks in advance, mom to a BIG boy

mommy2maya
10-23-2005, 08:19 PM
Fisher price seats are always highly recommended. But the danger with buying a used seat is you are unsure of it's past life.

kijip
10-23-2005, 10:05 PM
I believe that these seats were last sold in 2001, meaning that even if it was one of the last ones made it is fast coming up on its expiration date. I would take a pass on it.

There are not many options out there for past 40 pounds in a harness except for Britax and the new Apex. Other seats are rumored to be coming out soon (a Fisher Price branded stripped down Marathon for example!) but not soon enough for you.

If you can't afford a new harnessed seat, I would suggest a new booster like the Turbo Booster or Parkway over a used restraint.

Good luck!

FWIW: Have you seen the sale Britax Wizards on www.albeebaby.com ? Still pricey but a nice amount off the top and free shipping, no tax.

Edited to add- I noted that your son is under 40 pounds now. You may very well get 1 year or more out of a Combo-seat like the Ultra CarGo, esp. since your child is not super tall. It can take a long time to gain even a pound in preschool!

websnail
10-23-2005, 10:20 PM
From what I have found out, the Fisher Price seats do have an eight year life.

Price is a factor. Thanks for the information on the sale price. The Britax seats really just do not fit. I've tried them. The smaller ones are the same shell with other differences like extra padding or wings.

He really needs a seat now. In addition to his weight, the dog snacked on the cover. My husband took the seat out of the truck to make room for all his hunting junk and didn't put the seat up off the floor like I had asked. Men!

What a pickle. He will not sit still in a booster so I know he will not be protected that way.

I keep thinking I can always get something later if one of the newer ones might work better, but I'd hate to take a chance and have nothing at all.

I really appreciate the responses. I am up late trying to find out what I can. I doubt I'll have much time in the next few days.

kijip
10-24-2005, 12:30 AM
You are right that you have eight years, from the FP product info:

Before purchasing or borrowing a previously owned Fisher-Price Car Seat, we recommend that you call us at 1-800-432-KIDS. Our trained representatives can determine if the car seat was involved in any modification or recall programs. Fisher-Price recommends that child restraints be replaced after eight years to provide the best assurance that the child restraint: is in reliable working conditions; is well suited for use in constantly changing automobile interior design; and is reasonably current in relation to Federal regulations.

One thing to consider is that this seat could be nearly 8 years old so check the manufacturer date- 2001 was the LATEST year, not the first year. Also there have been a lot of changes in 8 years. You would also have to take the risk that the seller is trustworthy- people sell all sorts of used car seats for all sorts of places on Ebay.

If he is still under 40 pounds, I think the Graco CarGo might be a reasonable solution and later it can be used w/out the harness as a booster. It is about $60-$80. And it is easy to get fast!

If he still fits the seat he has for now, maybe buying a new cover? Or look for a used seat from a friend or a known source so you can be confident that it has not been involved in a crash.

o_mom
10-24-2005, 09:39 AM
What kind of seatbelts do you have? Are they the kind that lock when you pull them all the way out? In that case you may try a booster, but lock the seatbelt. That will keep some kids from moving around too much. Especially if you get one with good body wings.

websnail
10-28-2005, 11:04 PM
That Futura is still there, but it's been moved. It looks like I have a little more time to decide.

Nope. The seat belts don't lock.

I've been hunting up more posts and pictures on the Apex. It doesn't sound like it would work for us since it is going to be used where there are low seat backs. Did I understand correctly that this was whether it was used with the harness or as a booster? Some have compared it to the size of a Husky. I have seen a Husky. That seat would be too big. I have to admit that I wished this Apex seat had been made by Graco or Evenflo instead.

I will try to check back, but I have a lot of balls in the air to juggle right now.