PDA

View Full Version : Will a Graco Snugride fit in '97 Honda Civic 2-door?

Tuness
10-23-2005, 09:22 PM
I bought a Snugride but have yet to install it in my '97 Honda Civic Coupe (2-door). Just placing the seat in the base in the passenger outboard position, it looks like the edge of the base extends beyond my back seat. The salesperson at BRU said this was fine and also mentioned the benefits of the Snugride's "cocooning" action in the case of an accident. I've never heard this before. Just wondering if the Snugride will be fine or if I have to splurge for a Perego Primo Vaggio due to its smaller base. Also any installation tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tu

Joolsplus2
10-24-2005, 08:22 AM
Cocooning isn't a safety feature, it's 'just what happens to all rearfacing seats'... Britax sells seats that do NOT cocoon, so that heads won't be exposed to slamming into seatbacks in severe rear impacts. Cocooning isn't dangerous, but it's not safe, either (so, the BRU person was kind of half right...)
However THE main benefit of the Snugride in your car, is that the handle can be left up. That, and the Chicco Key Fit are the ONLY seats where you are allowed to leave the handle up without fear that it will shatter or be a danger to the baby. Now, imagine yourself trying to get the handle down every time you try to put the PV in....ok.... got it?... No, you don't want to have to do that ;).
Only 80% of the seatbase has to be on the vehicle seat...and an inch or two is not a whole 20% of the base, so you're fine with the Snugride (or Chicco, which will actually be a lot easier to install with the seatbelt than the Snugride)...the Primo Viaggio is way too much money for way too little seat, really...it's hard to use, the canopy isn't great, it's really, really hard to install in a lot of cars, it MUST be used with the base (Snugride and Key Fit can be used without the base if you pop into a friend's car or go on an airplane). The NEW Primo Viaggio might be a lot better...it's much bigger and has side impact protection, but the old one only lasts 3-6 months before kids get too wide or too tall for it.

Anyway, yup, the Snugride should fit just fine...you'll probably be a little cramped in front of it, but that's just the nature of the car and a rearfacing seat :(
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Tuness
10-24-2005, 08:28 PM
Thanks Jools. You've put a lot of my fears to rest.
Tu