PDA

View Full Version : Winter coats and car seats

AmyN
10-24-2005, 07:41 PM
I know it seems early to ask this, but we have started getting a few brisk days here in PA. I have already gotten into an argument with my mother over the car seat/winter coat issue. It has been my understanding that the two don't make for a safe ride for DD(riding RF in MA). It is my understanding that DD should ride with her clothing and not much more and have blankets on top of her. My mother, who mind you probably never had me in a car seat, feels DD will "freeze and be sick all winter" if she is not in her winter coat in the car. Wanted to double check with the techs that I am not crazy and see how all of you handle the wintercoat/ car seat issue in the very cold weather. Thanks for the help!

Momof3Labs
10-24-2005, 08:20 PM
For very cold weather, a fleece snowsuit (Lands End and LL Bean both carry them) works great. For moderately cold weather, I prefer a hooded fleece jacket.

KrisM
10-25-2005, 12:02 PM
We have the fleece snowsuit for winter and had one last year and loved it. I'm having a tough time in the moderate weather. Everything has a hood. What do you do with the hood - leave it on or push it behind his head? If I leave it on, it becomes pretty snug fitting and DS hates it. If I push it back, I worry that there is a hood between him and the carseat. Is my son a freak for hating the hood :).

Momof3Labs
10-25-2005, 12:38 PM
I usually pull up the hood so it is behind DS's head, but not on his head. He's not a hood hater (but he IS a hat hater) so not sure if this will help you.

Joolsplus2
10-25-2005, 01:55 PM
How about compromising with mom: Unzip the winter jacket and leave it on, with the harness only on the clothing layers?
In a perfect world, every coat comes off, and a onesie, turtleneck, and sweater are the thickest clothing that ever goes under the harness straps, but sometimes, if the best you can do is a fleece-lined parka, well...well, it's better than an overstuffed down parka!. Keep her rearfacing and it really doesn't matter nearly as much...and of course the harness as tight as possible.
But if I'm remembering right from last year, the unzipped jacket is really ok... or take it off, harness her in, and put it back on backwards..it might be fun, and then she can't BAKE in the car once the heater goes on! (Really, ask grandma if SHE wants to be strapped in in her full winter outergear with the heater blasting... whew!)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

AmyN
10-25-2005, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the info and the comeback for Grandma about sweating with the heavy coat. Didn't think of that one, but very good point.