PDA

View Full Version : How tall was your child when he/she outgrew the Marathon?

erzzie
10-25-2005, 10:24 AM
My son is 6 but he's only 45ish inches and 48 lbs. Is there any chance he'd fit in a Marathon for any length of time? If I try him in one, what am I looking for--the straps have to be at or above his shoulders, right? And his head has to have his ears below the top of the seat? Is that all I need to look for?

Thanks so much!

uccomama
10-25-2005, 11:19 AM
You are asking a "how long is a piece of string" question. How long a child would last in the MA really depends on the child and its body proportions. On average a child will outgrow a MA somewhere between 5 and 7, but there are kids on either end of the spectrum that have outgrown the seat at 4 or 8.

My 5.5 year old is 46" tall and still fits the MA, my DD was seven when she out grew the Wizard (same shell as the Marathon). Yes, you want the straps to be at or above the shoulders and his ears below the top of the seat. If you are buying one for your DS, you would want his shoulders to be at least an inch under the top harness slots though, which would give you at least two inches (hopefully more) of actual height growth, otherwise you would be wasting your money.

Have you considered the other options for extend harnessing like the Britax Husky which is rated to 80 lbs and has a harness that adjusts a couple of inches higher than the Marathon Then there is the new Cosco/Safety 1st Apex 65 which has harness slots a tad lower than the Marathon, the Apex's harness is rate to 65# and then converts to a belt positioning booster until 100#. You also have the SafeGuard, which also goes to 65#, has just been released onto the market this seat has 18" harness slots it is $$$ at $429. A couple of other 65# seats are also on their way, the Profile -- due out the third week of November and the Nania Legend which can also be used as a belt positioning booster due out early 2006.

Here is a link with of older, heavier child in harnessed seats: http://cpsafety.com/articles/FFalbum.aspx

erzzie
10-25-2005, 12:05 PM
Thanks for your response. I'm trying to fit three kids in the back of a Honda CR-V. We tested out one yesterday and a RF Roundabout + FF Marathon + Graco Turbobooster fit relatively well, but it was really hard to get the booster seatbelt all the way back there. I don't think there's any way a Husky would fit--that would be ideal, but since it's 21" and the booster was only 17"...there's just not that much room there.

I was hoping to sneak by with a Marathon since my DS isn't very big for his age, but we'll probably just have to see how much room there is. Does the Safeguard with 18" slots have the highest harness slots? Are the dimensions of the new seats available yet anywhere? Thanks so much for the help!

uccomama
10-25-2005, 04:18 PM
I got a SafeGuard seat yesterday and will post a review in a few days, I would like to get used to the seat a little more before I post my review. But I can tell you a few things. It is about 20" wide at the seat (armrest to armrest) and the same at the widest point across the back of the seat. My DS is at the second to highest harness setting, the highest setting is about two inches higher, so he does have more growing room in a SafeGuard than a Marathon, he has about 3 inches of seat above his head. It is a tall seat, and I am finding it blocks more of my view from the rear mirror than other seats I have had in that position. I tried my eight year old DD in it today and she was level with the harness slots at its highest setting, she outgrew the MA (actually a Wizard) a year ago.

I have a few photos of it, unfortunately, I haven't been able to get any of it in the car or with my children in it -- DH's brand new digital camera doesn't seem to be working properly.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39555873@N00/sets/927718/

I am really liking this seat, it is right in between a Marathon and a Husky size-wise.

Deborah

erzzie
10-25-2005, 04:22 PM
Ok, I'll wait patiently for your review! I would love to know how it meshes next to a FF Marathon, if you have a chance to check it out. Thanks so much!

uccomama
10-25-2005, 07:38 PM
I won't be able to help you out with that request. I no longer have a 65# Britax seat. Sorry.

Deborah

erzzie
10-25-2005, 09:04 PM
Ah well, I'll still be interested to hear what you think about it. Do you think BRU will carry it? Where did you find yours?

uccomama
10-25-2005, 09:26 PM
I bought it from http://www.safeguardseat.com/. I understand I am one of the first ten people to get the seat, cool eh!

I have no idea if the SafeGuard will be available in BRU, I do know it will be carried in some speciality stores in a few months.

Deborah

sarsah
10-26-2005, 05:41 PM
My DS is 5 1/2, 48" tall and 48 lbs -- he is too big for the Marathon. He rides in a Britax Husky (he has since he grew out of his Roundabout soon after he turned 2).

Sarah......mom to Jason (5/25/00) & Devin (5/12/03)