PDA

View Full Version : question about marathon install and CPS tech comment

nfowife
10-25-2005, 09:34 PM
I had my new marathon installed today for DD in my 2002 Explorer. Center, RF, using the lap belt. I have not read the entire manual but he told me that the belt locks on the side (the black plastic things) do not HAVE to lock because my belt will not loosen either way. Is this true? It is pretty much impossible to get them to close because of the angle of the lap belt so I don't know how to get it to close, so is it okay that it is open? Or should I get another tech to look at it? Also, he didn't know about using the tether in RF mode, I had to show him and point it out. He attached it under the passenger seat to the track all the way in the front of the seat but he said I shouldn't move the seat now. Is that right? It's a tight install (thought not as tight as DD's Tyro was, but definitely less than 1" at the belt path) but I want to be sure it's as tight and safe as possible.
Thanks!

MaiseyDog
10-25-2005, 09:44 PM
Wow, I never get to post in this section. Usually I'm looking for info myself, but I was in this exact same situation this morning. I had our Marathon installed because my husband and I couldn't get it tight AND straight. I have the same problem with the seatbelt locks on the side not closing. Neither side will close when the seatbelt is run through, and actually, one side won't latch even without the seatbelt. THe tech said it was fine not to close the clips, but that I might want to call Britax since atleast one of them was clearly defective, since it wouldn't close latch period.

I called Britax and customer service assured me that there was not a problem with not useing the latches as long as my seatbelt was locked. I specifically asked about any differences in safety with the locks and without and she said that safety would not be compromised. They are sending me replacement lockoffs just incase I decide I want to change them out. SHe was incredibly nice and helpful.

I also asked the tech about tethering when rearfacing and she said that I could, that it can help with recline, but it wasn't as necessary as tethering when front facing. We decided not to tether in my car (an Altima) because the recline is good and there really isn't a good place to tether, but we did tether my husbands (a trailblazer) to get better recline.

I hope that helps. I'm sure much more knowledgable folks will be along to share more, but I wanted to let you know what I had found out this morning.

Margaret
Georgia 2/14/05

kath68
10-25-2005, 10:47 PM
Amazing. I was just coming here to ask this question, as I have one belt lock that pops open.

Thanks!

Joolsplus2
10-26-2005, 08:14 AM
<nodding vigorously in agreement>

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx