PDA

View Full Version : Height Limit for Rear Facing?

samiam
10-26-2005, 09:17 AM
If I had more time, I'd do search of old posts. I'm kind of on a campaign on another message board to convince people to consider extended rear facing. I've provided them with a lot of info. already. One question came up that I just can't remember the answer to - is there a height limit for RF? I know there are weight limits, dependent on the seat. And I know that it's fine if their feet hit the back of the seat, and still okay if they need to cross their legs. But what about really tall and skinny kids - is there a height limit, or is that also dependent upon the seat?

Thanks a million. Can't tell you how much these boards have helped me over the last few years. Of course, also can't tell you how much these boards have cost me either with all the great product recommendations, but that's another story! LOL!

Joolsplus2
10-26-2005, 09:34 AM
For an infant seat, it's when the head is an inch from the top of the seat (because at that point, they'd be safer in a rearfacing convertible). For convertibles, it's when the head is even with the top (Britax allows till the tops of the ears are even with the top...but if you call them, they tell you top of the head even with the top of the seatback, just like the AAP recommends)(they are safer rearfacing than forward facing, so you can go a little taller in a convertible, if that makes sense).

SOME seats do have height limits, but generally they can be disregarded in favor of that head at the top of the back rule (since kids are such different dimensions...my 36 inch kid could be all leg and have more growing room RF, but yours could be all torso and too tall for RF). I REALLY wanted my dd to remain rearfacing after she outgrew the Marathon, but she was already too tall for the Alpha Omega Elite rearfacing! So, it's great that the Coscos go to 35 pounds RF, but it won't help skinny kids, which is why I still usually recommend the Marathon and clones for the longest rearfacing choice.

:)
:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

samiam
10-26-2005, 10:15 AM
Thanks a million Julie. I can always count on your for a quick and thorough answer. You rock!