PDA

View Full Version : traveling by cab questions. . . .

gilliesgal
10-26-2005, 02:08 PM
Going to Chicago this weekend and traveling solo with DS. Want to limit the amount of gear I'm taking, such as car seat and PNP. I've never done public trans with DS before, so I don't know the do's/don'ts of traveling via taxi with DS. . . must he be in a carseat or not?

Also, bonus question, if I don't bring PNP, what would be a good alternative for where DS could sleep at friend's apt. On floor? With blankets as a padding?

How do you traveling folks go light with your little ones??

Thanks!

-Kellie

Momof3Labs
10-26-2005, 03:51 PM
How old is your DS? That makes a huge difference.

You don't *have* to have him in a taxi in a Chicago cab, but IMO there's no way I would take a cab around here with DS in my lap. I'd stick with public transportation (trains, buses), personally, if you don't want to take a car seat. (Though you could take the car seat and use it on the plane - much safer again than being a lap baby.)

About the PNP, it would help to know how old he is.

gilliesgal
10-26-2005, 03:56 PM
Good point. . . he is a little over 5 months.

You are right. . . taxis are so scary that if any place he should be in his car seat, that would be it! Isn't it shocking that isn't a law??

Ok, so some sort of blanket on the floor for DS or is that a bad idea? Thinking maybe the basinette mat of the PNP could be folded and put in my suitcase. That would be pretty good on the floor, I think.

bensmom
10-26-2005, 08:59 PM
I completely agree with Lori. A passenger was killed the other day on Michigan Avenue when he was ejected from the cab during a crash. Just wanted to add that I take cabs fairly often in Chicago (I live in the city) and I can't remember the last time I was in one that didn't have working seatbelts (and I buckle up every time in cabs) and most of them are relatively new, so they'd have locking seatbelts.

So, if your son is in an infant carrier and you had to take a cab, depending on which seat you have, it's fairly easy to buckle the seat in for the ride. Your son is old enough that you probably wouldn't need to worry about the recline angle (especially since it's a short ride).

Having said that, I generally just stick to public transportation with DS.

As for the blanket on the floor, it might depend on your DS. Mine always moved too much so I wouldn't have been able to sleep if he wasn't "contained." It probably depends on how active he is.

Ilana

CPS Tech and mom

tribecamom
10-27-2005, 07:16 AM
but as a traveller and a city girl the snap and go wheels and the infant bucket are easy to manage on a plane and in a taxi, as long as you don't need to base to install your car seat with the belt

I just get in the cab and tell him to put the meter on so I can install the seat without annoying the driver too much

tobycat
10-27-2005, 08:01 AM
I can't answer your cab question, but have you done a search for a company that rents cribs? On vacation in SC there were at least two companies that rent cribs. They deliver, set up and take down. You could also rent linens if you wanted.

Candice