PDA

View Full Version : Volvo Integrated Booster Seat

lovin2shop
10-27-2005, 11:42 AM
We have these in our wagon, and the owners manual says that they are safe starting at 37" and 33 pounds. Drew is at this height/weight now, but this type of seat doesn't seem appropriate for him right now, and I'm planning to leave him in the Marathon as long as I can. My question is - when would this booster become safe or would I be wiser to skip it altogether and buy a booster seat? I love the idea of the integrated booster, but I just want to make sure that we have him in the safest seat. I haven't looked into boosters at all yet, so I'm clueless as to what factors determine the safety.
TIA,

Joolsplus2
10-27-2005, 01:15 PM
Definitely wait till he's at least 4 or 5 before moving to any booster (boosters aren't safe for kids who don't sit as still as little statues..heck, my 8 and 6 yo are still harnessed in Huskies most of the time, the little wiggleworms!). It's probably very safe, considering your car also has side curtain airbags. In a car without curtain airbags, it is MUCH more important to use a highback booster, like the Britax Parkway, to offer a lot more head protection in deadly side impacts. Some kids don't find the Volvo built in to be very comfortable, and it probably isn't as sleep supportive, so DO take that into consideration when you are deciding a few years down the line what to do. You'll be thrilled you have those built ins later when you bring little friends along, especially if you have a lame booster law in your state, and you want to keep them safe, but their parents don't drop off a booster for you to use (most kids do need to be in a booster till age 8-12, depending on their size and how they fit differently in every car, regardless of the law).
So, long story short: Yes, very safe, yes, very convenient, *as long as* your child is capable of sitting still in it and finds it comfortable....usually after age 4 (the limits sound like they are based on the 3 yo crash test dummy, which is 33 pounds and 37 or so inches, so I trust that it's as safe as any other booster seat)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

lovin2shop
10-27-2005, 01:30 PM
Julie,
You're awesome! Thanks.