PDA

View Full Version : I got my new Marathon today--what is the deal with the lockoffs?!

erzzie
10-27-2005, 09:18 PM
Amelia's new Marathon arrived today--hooray! I have been a bad mommy and we've been using an expired Roundabout for a couple months (wince), so I finally got my act together and she has a new ashley floral seat. Since she's still 28 lbs, I installed it rear facing using the shoulder/lap belt on the outboard passenger side of our 2000 Dodge Durango. I used the photo in Julie's post above and routed the seatbelt under all the foam and covers, but the lockoffs just don't stay shut very well! Our old RA had the grey lockoffs (it was from 1999) and they stayed shut without any trouble at all. This one has the black ones and according to the manual, they're supposed to audibly click...no clicking here. The seatbelt is really tight across the seat (I climbed in!) and today, after we drove around a bit, the lockoff popped itself open. Yikes!

Any hints? I originally installed it with the lockoff by the buckle closed, but saw that I was supposed to use the other side so that's the one that's locked off now...it didn't help any, unfortunately.

nfowife
10-27-2005, 10:15 PM
I posted about this the other day, and the lockoffs don't HAVE to close for it to be a safe install. Mine won't close, and both the cps tech who installed it and our own Jools said it's okay, so you're okay!

Joolsplus2
10-28-2005, 08:28 AM
I just don't get how they can make such terrific lockoffs on the RA, and such PITB ones on the MA (they have a sadist working for them, watching us helpful techs and moms make our fingers bleed trying to describe it over and over again, maybe? ROFL!)
But yeah, you can safely use Either, Neither or Both lockoffs perfectly safely, given that your seatbelts lock... You have "lightweight locking latchplates" on your car, so you may have to just 'flip the latchplate' one time to keep it staying super-tight (install without the lockoffs...just close and ignore them)...install as tight as you can, then unbuckle the belt, flip the 'male' side half a twist, and rebuckle it, that'll make it stay solid in your car.

:)

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

nfowife
10-28-2005, 10:10 AM
Jools I have a 2002 Explorer. Do I need to do the twisty thing on my lap belt too if I'm not using the lockoffs?

Joolsplus2
10-28-2005, 11:33 AM
Nope, you have different kind of belts. Hers are the kind that locks right there at the latchplate (but usually get loose over time, they aren't the best desgined devices, but they meet the 'lockability' standards and don't pull carseats up sideways, at least!), but yours are the kind that pull all the way out and then retract tightly at the retractor in the shoulderbelt (generally holds tighter, but often tips the tar out of a rearfacing seat..).

:)

nfowife
10-28-2005, 12:53 PM
I'm using the lapbelt at the center position, it is not a retractable but an adjustable one.

Joolsplus2
10-28-2005, 01:11 PM
Whoopsie... well, still no... it CAN be a fix for a that kind of lapbelt, but only if it's tippy and the belt is actually getting loose. If you don't have that problem, no worries at all :)