PDA

View Full Version : Infant seat: BT Flex Loc, Britax Companion, vs. Graco Snugride?

elufaduf
10-29-2005, 10:53 AM
I feel like I've been researching this issue forever and keep going around in circles! Any advice MUCH appreciated.

We have a VW Passat sedan (2002, no LATCH) and a Subaru Forester (2004, LATCH in both outboard positions). I am looking for the SAFEST seat possible, which had lead me to the Companion. However, it seems there may be some fit concerns for the Passat.

The Baby Trend Latch Loc was highly rated by Consumer Reports, but I can't seem to find it -- and now see the Flex Loc available (babycenter.com, for example).

I know the Snugride is a popular choice and seems to fit many cars.

Can anyone give me guidance on any of these 3? My questions are:

1. How is the BT Flex Loc different from the Latch Loc? Is it equally safe, or an unknown?

2. The listing for the Flex Loc on Babycenter.com -- http://store.babycenter.com/product/gear/carseats/infant_carseats//7606?stage= -- says the seat can be used without the base. What the heck does this mean?? I can't imagine you can drive around by just strapping in the seat w/out a base or something.

2. Should I install the seat in both cars in the middle position, even though there is no LATCH there in the Subaru?

3. Should I just try to get the Companion and see if I can cram it into both of the cars?

Help! Thanks so much in advance. :)

Splash
10-29-2005, 12:15 PM
Do not cram in a seat that doesn't fit. That is NOT safe.
I have a latch loc and we like it a lot. But it IS very difficult to install with a seatbelt. I don't use it in the middle in one of the cars because I just can't get a good install with the belt.
The latch loc goes way bigger (okay, only 2 lbs and 3 inches, but that is WAY bigger in terms of infant growth) and has EPS foam lined headrest and 7 shoulder heights (versus two).
It is very easy and very safe to install a seat without a base. In fact, in some cars it's the only option if the base won't fit.
If you can get the seat to work well in the middle, definitely install it in the middle. But if you are doing that, the LL is probably not your best option. Go with a higher weight snug ride.
Your other option is to skip the basket altogether and put that money towards a great convertible. Charlie at 11 weeks is almost out of his basket. He was out of a 20/26 basket at about 7 weeks (used a friend's one day... or tried to. Nope!)

o_mom
10-29-2005, 12:42 PM
I don't know much about the BT seats, but I do know the Passat. Your 2002 sedan is LATCH equipped, but for some reason, they don't install the lower anchors at the factory. You need to make an appointment with the dealer to have them installed. Ours did it for free, but I'm not sure if that is universally true. - if you bought it new, point out that they sold it to you as LATCH equipped and therefore they need to make good on that.

As far as fit, _any_ seat will have trouble fitting tightly in the Passat, especially rear-facing in the middle. The Subaru middle position is also tough to install. I have never been able to get a rear-facing seat tight in either car in the middle, but a tech might be able to.

Joolsplus2
10-29-2005, 01:35 PM
All three seats are the same size, now, fortunately (unless you get stuck with an old Snugride that only goes to 20 pounds...).
Since you don't have LATCH in the center of either cars, but DO have lap/shoulderbelts, you'll want something with a built in lockoff... Snugrides are a pain to install with lap/shoulderbelts, but the Companion and a new choice the Chicco Key Fit, install the best with lap/shoulderbelts. The Key Fit also has the distinct advantage (so does the Snugride) that you can leave the handle up when you are driving...all the others MUST be put down, which can take up that precious few extra inches of space for YOU in the front seat to be comfortable!
Yup, all these seats can be installed without the base...and that's *perfectly* safe (and darn convenient if you want to go in a friend's car, or fly somewhere, or save money on a second base for dad's car or whatnot :) )

I'm due in February, and the Key Fit is at the top of my list right now (I have a companion, but just don't 'love' it... it's hard to get in and out of the base, the handle has to be put down, the headrest seems too constricting for older babies.. I think it's safe, it just doesn't wow me very much...).

Oh, the Flex Loc is fine, but yeah, kind of a pain to install with seatbelts.
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

elufaduf
10-29-2005, 09:46 PM
Wow, thanks so much everyone! This gives me a lot to think about.

o mom, how bizarre about the lack of factory installed LATCH. I will definitely look into this.

Splash, thanks very much for your insight. Congrats on your big boy! ;)

I had no idea the seats could be installed without a base!

Ok, so here are my new questions. (Sorry!)

Due to the lack of LATCH in the middle seat, and the difficulties you mentioned, o mom in these particular cars, should we install the seat in one of the outboard positions?

Julie, I am intrigued by the Key Fit. But I don't see any safety ratings on it by CR or elsewhere. Do you know of any I'm missing?

Thanks again, everyone! I have 7 weeks to go assuming I go full term, and I have to get this purchase made.

Joolsplus2
10-30-2005, 08:07 AM
The Key Fit is really new, but there's no reason to think it wouldn't do well (and Consumer Reports is a good place to start, but their testing procedures are extremely unreliable, so we don't really know what they are doing to get the results they do :P)... It has EPS foam (like the Latchloc, the Graco doesn't have it), it *extremely* easy to install with a seatbelt (LL and Snugride are much more of a trial), it can be used with the handle up (like the snugride, but the LL has to be put down or who knows what could happen...older seats have been known to shatter and injure kids in a crash...yikes!). The Key Fit fits youngest/smallest babies the best, and also will last a LONG time (well, they all will now, but a friend of mine put her 1 yo in it with room to grow and was impressed). They all have 5 point harnesses and front harness adjusters, and THAT is one of the most important things about the safety of an infant seat.
It'll be easiest to install in your center seat or if you don't get your LATCH bars installed (ANY seat in the back is VERY safe, as long as the seat is properly installed, but being in the center offers an extra foot of 'intrusion' space in case some jerk in an expedition runs a red light).. and the most subjective of all? Everyone I know who's seen the Key Fit uses the word "Love" to describe their emotion about it :D

I actually really like ALL those seats...you really can't go wrong (as long as you steer clear of Evenflo and Cosco infant seats, you're good, really...)... I've installed what seems like hundreds of Graco seats, and I can do it in minutes, and describe how to easily... but it's just that NICE lockoff feature on the Key Fit base (or Companion or Combi Connection) that is going to make your life easiest when it comes to installing the base, and the smooth harness adjuster that will make everything a snap when you use the seat from day to day (it's like tying shoes, you have to tie and untie them to get your feet in and out, so it's better to have everything up front and easy to do when you get that wiggly baby in and out a couple times a day!).

Ok, I've totally written a novel...I'm sorry! (quiet sunny sunday morning and dh is still asleep, lol)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx