PDA

View Full Version : Need extra carseat/booster for Nana's car...

vbexar
10-29-2005, 03:52 PM
My Mother-in-law finally got a car (had been borrowing mine daily) and now I need some extra carseats. Trips in her car will be no more than 15 minutes long and pretty infrequent (once or twice a week and probably from her house to ours, which is 1.5 miles). We have Britax RA in our main car and a FP Safe Embrace in my husband's car (thanks to a tip here several years ago about a close out at Big Lot's). We are on a serious budget for these purchases and I need the cheapest safe alternatives.

I have a 3 year old, 38.5 inch 30 pound daughter and was thinking of the Graco turbobooster for her- this will give her plenty of room to grow, but be relatively cheap.

My 13 month old is 20 pounds and already forward facing (plase, no lectures- I know rear facing is optimal). I was thinking the Cosco Scenera for him (not overhead bar as I have gathered).

Are there better options? I really don't want to spend more than $50 on each option.

Vickie

Joolsplus2
10-29-2005, 04:35 PM
I know she meets the minimum requirements, but I would definitely not go with a booster this young... really, hunt around for a bargain on a Graco Ultra or Cherished Cargo or Evenflo Chase, so you can keep her harnessed till a full 40 pounds (probably age 5+ for her)... you'll be much happier keeping her harnessed, I think, as it's just so much safer, and will keep her from wiggling around much, reaching for toys, reaching for her brother...well, kids like to reach for everything, lol.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?dest=9999999997&product_id=3932605&sourceid=1500000000000001353000 (the vision or bolero are basically all the same as the chase.. they all have high top slots and front harness adjusters...please don't be tempted by the bargain on the Turbo, really, she's just too young for it to be a safe choice...).

And yeah, the Scenera is a great $40 seat, unless you find a great deal on 2 of those Evenflo seats...maybe even Babies R Us would have a twin discount? (They gave me one when I bought matching boosters, even though I didn't have twins, can't hurt to try, lol)

:)

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx