PDA

View Full Version : ? re: Acura CL/Seatbelts/ Locking Clips/Britax, etc.

Lori810
10-31-2005, 09:43 AM
Hello :)

I have a question about my DH's Acura - its a 1997 Acura CL. It seems like it has locking seatbelts (the kind that lock after you pull them all the way out and then feed it back in. But yesterday as I was checking it out, if I retracted it, it would lock as I would be feeding it in, and then it seems like sometimes, it would not be locked all of a sudden? Very wierd! According to something I found online all Honda and Acuras mfg after 1995 have locking retractors. Does anyone know anything about this?

Also, I was thinking about getting a Britax for the car since they come with locking clips as part of it, but the locking clips in the Britax are only for the rear facing position right?

(You'd think I would know this already since I do have a 2 yr old but her carseat was installed a long time ago - we did use a locking clip but at that time, I didn't realize that if the seatbelt has locking retractors you don't need a locking clip.)

Thanks for any help!
Lori

Joolsplus2
10-31-2005, 09:56 AM
Hmmmm... sometimes there's a weird "dead spot" where the locking retractors are sort of not engaged, but usually only if you are doing them up without a seatbelt or person in them... try doing it again, sitting in the seat and see if you have a problem
There are front facing lockoffs on the britax, too...yay! so that would take care of any weird dead spots in your seatbelts (unless your belts are genuinely broken...then they obviously should be replaced...rare, but it happens...).
Britaxes would probably FIT best in that car, but I'm sure other seats would, too. www.carseatdata.org probably has at least a few entries for that car.

You *definitely* want to install top tether anchors in your car...there should be little plastic round caps in the package shelf or the back of the hatchback rear (if it's a hatchback?)...you just pop those off and screw the parts in and suddenly your carseat is much more safely installed :). You can get the parts from a Honda or Acura dealer for about $12 and it's called a "Plate Assembly" pare number 82410-SE3-C01 (if they are clueless and need help looking the part up)...they can do it at the shop, or ask for directions from their computer system to do it and get a torque wrench (I really should have one of those...my dh just hand-twisted my old anchors in...sheesh...)

HTH,
:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Lori810
10-31-2005, 10:17 AM
Wow, that's awesome information! I have a Britax Roundabout in my other car and i must be dense but I can't figure out where the front facng locking clips are? Can you explain? Thank you!!

Lori

Joolsplus2
10-31-2005, 11:55 AM
If your seat is installed with a lap belt only, you aren't dense, you've just never come near the lockoff ;). If you hae a lap/shoulderbelt...well, here's what it is, I'm not quite sure where your belt is going, though!
It's that weird plastic thing on the side that's about the width of a seatbelt..
This page shows how it works, but hilariously, it's in Korean and is a weird seat I don't know what it is...the lockoff is the same!
http://tinyurl.com/bh33f

Lori810
10-31-2005, 03:33 PM
My seat is installed using the lap/shoulder and it does touch those things but doesn't click into them or anything. I will see if I can post a pic to show you and maybe you can tell me what I am doing wrong. thanks!!!
Lori

Joolsplus2
10-31-2005, 03:44 PM
It doesn't really look like they open, so it's not like it's REALLY obvious... but if you push on that little tab to 'open' it, then push the belt in, then close it (you have to push the tab a bit to close it and make it clamp), then your seat is just gripping the car a little tighter, which can help keep it moving less in a crash...which is good, of course.
You might check your manual, I'm sure there's something in the 'forward facing with a seatbelt install' section.

:)