PDA

View Full Version : Birth to college, which is best?

Splash
10-31-2005, 10:31 AM
My SIL is having a baby in January... and she insists on getting a infant to booster seat. No matter how many times I try to tell her it's a bad idea, she won't listen. Seeing as how she plans on using a baby seat and will probably never use a booster, I don't know why she wants one of theses so bad. Actually, it's probably to make more people spend more money at her baby shower. Anyway, her shower is in a few weeks (gosh I don't even know when it is... some weekend in November) and she wants to know which seat to 'register' for.

So... of the three, which is 'best'?

Safety 1st Intera
Cosco AO
Cosco AO Elite

Is there really any difference convertible seat wise between the AO and the AO elite? I have a regular one and I know some places still sell the 'original' one. But which one is better, or does it matter?

Anyhoo... which of those three do you think is best? There is no point trying to point out to her what a moron she is being, it's best just to answer her question. I doubt the child will be RF for long and I sincerely doubt she'll use a booster... I just hope it's a small baby so it can stay in it's basket for as long as possible, because I'm sure she'll turn him around right at 20 lbs... no matter how old he is :(
E

Joolsplus2
10-31-2005, 11:46 AM
Intera. The AO has LOW top slots, HIGH probability of misuse, and actually fails NHTSA compliance testing when used FF without the top tether (WHERE is the RECALL!?!?!?, I'm STEAMING about this!).. .the AOE might pass, it's a slightly different base design, but again, low top harness slots, too high a probability of misuse.

The Intera has TALL top harness slots, installs great without that enormous base (she can store it till the kid is 6 or so), is MUCH better as a booster than the AO, and a lower misuse probability (I'm thinking specifically of that top headrest position in the AO/E that canNOT be used with the harness, that no one knows about...).

Too bad you can't talk her into a Marathon...some people don't want to learn from other people's experience, yeah ;)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Splash
10-31-2005, 11:56 AM
I wish I cuold talk her into an MA. No way. We couldn't even talk her into stopping drinking when she was pg. She just doesn't care about this kid and views it strictly as a cool acessory and a way to get attention.
She won't use a booster. I guarantee by the time the kid is 30 pounds or so he is in an adult seatbelt... or just bopping around the back seat. And I am sure he'll be FF by six months... what to do?
Compared to Charlie who'll be rearfacing forever (even if his mommy doesn't agree!) and probably in a harness until he's 14 (hey, there is still time to invent one, right?)
E

BTW- How tall ARE the slots on the intera? I didn't know they were so tall... interesting...

Oh... and I installed one for a friend a few months ago... is it just me or is it not possible to use LATCH RF with the base on? The straps are NOT long enough.

Joolsplus2
10-31-2005, 12:00 PM
They are well over 15 inches, probably almost 16...compared to 14.5 for the AO...my 5 yo still fit in the Intera last I tried her :).

I haven't gotten to do a LATCH install on it... I wouldn't be surprised if they are too short to reach around the godzilla booster, lol.

But you know, if it just really sucked for you, then look for the Alpha Sport...it has a regular harness, and no base, but it is 5-100 pounds... less deluxe than the AO/E, but less to screw up and use wrong ;).

Ugh... I just don't understand how people can be so cavalier about someone else's (their child's) life... I guess that's why it's a good thing there are loving foster families out there...

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx