PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Carseat Needed for 2 yr. old - Britax?

jennifer1143
10-31-2005, 03:18 PM
Hello - We are in need of a second carseat for another vehicle. Our little boy is 2 years old and weighs 33 lb. We have a Britax Roundabout now & love it. But it seems he is fast outgrowing it. What should I get for the second carseat? I would also really like a drink holder on it - is there one that can be attached to the carseat?

I will be buying it online. Any idea where is the best place with the best price? Thanks so much!

Jennifer

Joolsplus2
11-01-2005, 11:49 AM
You probably want something wit nice tall top slots, and definitely a front adjuster (sigh, don't worry, they all have cupholders, too, except for the expensive seats...europeans don't understand our need to eat and drink constantly, lol).
So.. Cheap but nice seats are the Graco Platinum or Ultra Cargo, or the Evenflo Generations or Bolero or Traditions or Chase.
Expensive but nice seats are the Britax Husky, Regent, Marathon, Boulevard, Decathlon, and the Recaro Young Sport (this one becomes a booster, like the Graco and Evenflos, but it is a MUCH nicer booster than those, which are pretty lame as boosters).
A 33 pound 2 yo might be a big guy who might need a higher weight seat so he can make it to an old enough age for a booster (translation, I'm afraid he'll hit 40 pounds before he's at least 4, preferably 5 or 6, when kids are actually mature enough to sit safely in a booster), so you might really consider the Britaxes (or even the www.safeguardseat.com) or Cosco Apex, which all harness to 65 pounds (Husky/Regent is 80 pounds).
You can see most of these seats in real stores, and see which you would really want, and then buy online for a better deal, I definitely recommend that if at all possible. You're going from an RA, and probably won't love *any* of them, I'll bet :D....and of course, you can and should keep using your RA till his shoulders are *just* above the top slots in the plastic, or till his ears are at the top of the seat, or till he's 40 pounds...you may have more time than you think in it :) (get a 'side rider' to clamp on the side for a cupholder, it works great on Britaxes)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

jennifer1143
11-01-2005, 04:01 PM
Thanks so much Julie! If I go with a Britax which would you recommend? Which is closest to our Roundabout?

Jennifer

jennifer1143
11-01-2005, 04:11 PM
One more question - someone told me the wings on the side of the Boulevard really bothered her child...he couldn't see to the sides...is that possible?

Thanks,
Jennifer

Joolsplus2
11-01-2005, 04:46 PM
I know lots of people who were bothered by the Wizard wings, but really don't run across complaints about the BV wings, they are so far apart as to be almost non-wings, really... I dunno...kids like to look up and out of any seat, really, might as well have a nice big hunk of protective EPS foam there, either way (???)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

jennifer1143
11-01-2005, 04:52 PM
Do you think the Boulevard is better than the Decathalon?