PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find the new convertible seats that harness past 40 pounds?

american_mama
11-01-2005, 10:41 PM
Is the Cosco Safety 1st Apex car seat online anywhere yet? It's hard to search for because I don't know whether to type 1st or First, and my two little google searches came up with nothing.

Also, where is the Compass/Radian/Profile seat sold and who is the manufacturer? The description is online at
http://www.mightytite.com/Pages/radian1.html
but I is Mighty Tite or Sunshine Prodcuts the manufacturer?
The website is calling this the Radian, but I swear it was called something else just a few weeks ago, like Compass or Profile, hence me referring to it with all those slash marks.

Julie, I need you! I have a raincheck for the Platinum Cargo for $78 at Target, but I am frozen with indecision about what to get since DD should outgrow that harness imminently. I fantasize about you taking me by the hand and helping me with all my car seat problems in person!

Kris0810
11-01-2005, 11:02 PM
I bought the Apex direct from Cosco. It was only $100.12 with shipping. The only problem is that you can not choose the color. Cosco told me that they do not make seats gender specific and that all three styles are mostly blue. I thought it was a good deal, I bought this for a second car seat. The only other problem is they said you could not return it.

Here is the number I called: 1-800-207-8182
CSR was very nice and helpful

P.S I just saw one sell on ebay for $150 + $30 shipping.
I do not recomend buying a seat from ebay, but I just wanted to watch the auction to make sure I got a deal :-)
-Kristin

uccomama
11-01-2005, 11:08 PM
I don't think the Apex 65 is available on line anywhere yet. It is in some TRU's and should be at BRU and other stores "soon". This store has it listed as Cosco Apex 65, but they don't seem to have it yet, claiming it will arrive end of October and they are selling for $169.95 which is $40 more than TRU.

http://www.showeryourbaby.com/coap65cocars.html

The Radian, is the new name for the Profile, the Compass is a whole different seat and manufacturer. Sunshine Kids is the manufacturer of both the Radian (formerly known as the Profile) and Mighty-Tite.

I'll leave Julie to answer your question about the Platinum Cargo. FYI, the Radian's top harness height is 17.75" which is taller than the Cargo's.

Deborah

uccomama
11-01-2005, 11:10 PM
I am curious, what color cover did you get from Cosco? Was it the same blue one that was on the ebay seat?

Deborah

Kidrepair
11-01-2005, 11:14 PM
Hi,not to steal your thread, but I have been interested in the new Profile seat or whatever it is called also. But it says the height limit is 49 inches which sounds nice and tall but I thought the MA was also 49 inches and my 6 yr. old who is 46 inches is over the top slots in the MA as well as the Platinum Cargo we have. I need a carseat for her for my DH car with no shoulder belts. Was hoping this or the Apex would work but it sounds like you cannot use the Apex with short seat backs and he has an old CJ7 with a very short seat back. Sorry so long. I guess my question is, does anyone know if it has higher top slots than the MA?

Kris0810
11-01-2005, 11:42 PM
Ofcourse not, that is the one I wanted. It is all blue, with a plaid blue in the middle, still nice but I liked the other one better. (It is going in my mothers car so it does not really matter.)
The website that was posted
http://www.showeryourbaby.com/coap65cocars.html
shows the seat is like a purple/pink. These are not the correct colors. I questioned the CSR at Cosco about these colors, she looked up the site and told me that the coloring in the picture was wrong. She said it is blue and deep red and it was a BRU exclusive print.
I was concerned because I knew that you could not pick the fabric, and I did not want a purple seat for my little guy :-)
That is when she told me that the seats are not gender specific.
Hope this helps!!
-Kristin

uccomama
11-02-2005, 09:29 AM
The Radian/Profile harness height at 17.75" is a teeny bit higher than the MA but probably not enough to justify buying it for a child who has outgrown the MA. Really your only option for extended harnessing is the Britax Regent (FKA Husky). Well, there is the SafeGuard seat too. It has top harness slots of 18", and it is a very, very tall seat. But at $429 the amount of time you will have in it probably doesn't justify the price. You are right both the MA and the Radian have a designated maximum height of 49", but as you have learned this is pretty meaningless, it all depends on the proportions of the child.

Deborah

PS: I have a 5.5 year old who is also 46" tall but he is still a good inch below the top harness slots of the MA. He is all legs with a torso height of 16".

Kidrepair
11-02-2005, 10:13 AM
Hi Deborah, thanks for replying. I have a dilemma because I am worried about my husbands Jeep. He has 76 Jeep CJ7 with lap only belts and a very low seat back. Now that my daughter is over 40 pds. (finally) we don't know what to put her in. There is no way she is riding in there with only a lap belt. She is right above the top slots on my other daughters MA and she is embarassed to ride in it being in 1st grade, she says it is a baby seat. It does sit up pretty high. She is about 43 pds. so the few times recently that she has ridden in his Jeep I have put her in the Platinum Cargo we have, I know it only goes to 40 pds, she just fits in the top slots, but I felt safer having her in that instead of a lap belt. sorry so long. My question is do you know how high the slots are in the Husky/Regent?

uccomama
11-02-2005, 12:22 PM
Hopefully, someone else will clarify this, but I think the top harness slots are 19" or 20", I can't remember off hand.

Deborah

tjham
11-02-2005, 01:39 PM
>I bought the Apex direct from Cosco. It was only $100.12 with
>shipping. The only problem is that you can not choose the
>color. Cosco told me that they do not make seats gender
>specific and that all three styles are mostly blue. I thought
>it was a good deal, I bought this for a second car seat. The
>only other problem is they said you could not return it.
>
>Here is the number I called: 1-800-207-8182
>CSR was very nice and helpful
>
>P.S I just saw one sell on ebay for $150 + $30 shipping.
>I do not recomend buying a seat from ebay, but I just wanted
>to watch the auction to make sure I got a deal :-)
>-Kristin

How did you know about doing this (ordering from Cosco)?
I went to their website and they don't even show the Apex.
How do you like it so far?

Kris0810
11-02-2005, 03:08 PM
I had no idea that you could order from them, but the CSR offered it to me. I knew that they were not in stores by me yet, so I took a chance. I think the seat is ok. It is for my mothers car, but currently I am using in my vehicle. I had a Britax Advantage and I am waiting for the Regent to come out. My son just hit 40 lbs and I felt unsafe keeping him in the Advantage since he has met the hight and weight limits. (He is only 3)
I bought a Graco Turbo Booster, but I quickly returned it because I did not feel he was ready for a Seat Belt Booster. I searched high and low and finally found the Apex. Here is a picture of it. The only thing I don not like is the way the buckle is shaped. It seems to dig into his legs. (Also a picture of buckle.) I installed using the seatbelt instead of the latch, I can always get it tighter with the seat belt. Like I said, it is a second car seat and I have only had Britax, nothing compares!!

tjham
11-02-2005, 03:41 PM
Thanks! I agree - that buckle looks huge! Guess I'll wait til I can see one in person!

Kris0810
11-02-2005, 04:11 PM
It is big, but that is not the main reason why it bothers him. If you look at the picture again, where my finger is, the buckle is pointed. This is what digs into his legs. Maybe some kids are different, but this is what bothers mine. I am still keeping the seat, I think he will get used to it....I hope. :-)

tjham
11-02-2005, 06:13 PM
I see what you mean. Why would they do that? :(

american_mama
11-02-2005, 09:08 PM
Thanks so much for all the replies and helpful info. So, my major question now is how much is the Radian likely to sell for and where is it available?

The Cosco seat is looking pretty good if I can get it a TRU and try it out, or have the company sell to me direct for $100. The padding looks a little minimal though.

american_mama
11-03-2005, 02:43 PM
Ok to answer my own question, the Radian car seat from SUnshine Products will be available at the end of November. You can put in an order and buy it from them directly for $199, no tax and no shipping, by calling Toll-free: 1-888-336-7909.

Or you can see it in real life and buy it from Target, Burlington Coat Factory, Toys R Us for $199.95. The sales rep said all of the above stores have put in orders for it and it should be available there at the same time (end of Nov.)

american_mama
11-03-2005, 03:31 PM
The previous poster accidentally listed the fax number. The correct number to try and order the Apex 65 car seat is:
1-800-544-1108

Kris0810
11-03-2005, 04:56 PM
It was just brought to my attenetion that the number I listed was the fax number. The correct number is 1-800-544-1108.
-Sorry

Joolsplus2
11-03-2005, 05:49 PM
Looks like everyone was more helpful than me :)

Ugh! I wish all these seats were more *available*... I forgot, how old is your little one? You were needing a convertible, but have your big one in a convertible but she's getting too big, right? Wanna borrow a bigger infant seat from me? I have a Companion and a Connection sitting around, they go to 22lbs/29 inches :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

lmkramer
11-08-2005, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the info on where to find this seat. I'm interested in seeing it since it's supposed to be narrower at the base, but I need to try it in my van to see if I can get 3 seats across. Hopefully my Target store will have it soon!

Linda

tjham
11-10-2005, 11:59 AM
Oooops!

tjham
11-10-2005, 12:00 PM
Ooooh, the Radian looks really neat AND it comes in several colors! I think I'll forget about trying to get one that becomes a booster and get this. My granddaughter is 4 1/2, 33 lbs and 39 inchs tall but with long legs. This should work for a good while!

Oh, but what about safety testing? (Dang...there's always a but...) Does anyone know about that for the Radian?

http://www.skjp.com/Pages/radian1.html

This is the same company that makes the Side-Rider!

http://www.skjp.com/Pages/radian1.html