PDA

View Full Version : Chicco Key Fit?

jsg
11-03-2005, 02:06 PM
So, based on its specs, seeing it in the store, and some positive word of mouth (including posts here), I'm flirting with the idea of choosing the Chicco Key Fit as our infant seat.

I had been pretty set on the Britax Companion (despite the heavier weight, etc.), but it now seems impossible to get one in stock anywhere in the time we need it (at this point, within 2-3 weeks). The Snug Ride had always been the second choice, but I'm very tempted by the Key Fit. It seems very solidly made, the height/weight specs are great, it's attractive, not too heavy.

Realizing that nothing can be put on the market without safety testing, meeting standards, etc. it still makes me quite nervous to get a seat SO new that there are not yet any official reviews (such as Consumer Reports) and very few comments from people using it or news of how it has sustained in crashes. I've always seen the advice that--especially with things like car seats--newest is never better and it's risky to buy something that hasn't had much of a market run (nor has Chicco in the past been particularly noted for its car seats, right?).

Are there any additional places to look for safety ratings on the Key Fit? Results of the government's original crash tests, etc.

My additional (much smaller) concerns:
- From what I can tell (or what they're telling me in the store), it will only fit into a Chicco stroller base (Cortina?) and not any of the frames (Combi, Snap 'N Go, etc.) We had wanted to wait on the full stroller, and I'm not keen on the extra $100 plus investment right now. Does it fit any other stroller base?

- It can (like the Snug Ride or the Companion) be used (plane, taxi, etc.) without the base and has the appropriate slots. But, unlike those others, the side slots are hidden underneath the cover, which must be lifted off the sides to expose them, which is both a real pain and seems not the safest (to lift off the padding on the bottom/sides in that way). Am I missing something about how to use those clips?

I'd love to hear from anyone who's using it, or who can point me to additional safety testing sites or reviews. I'd hate for its newness to keep me from getting a great seat.

Thanks all!

kphil
11-03-2005, 05:37 PM
I wish I had answers for you on all your other questions, but the only one I can answer is that you're right about the way the slots in the seat have to be used if you're not using the base. I have one (not using it yet), and that's one of the things I found weird about it. I don't know if we'll need to use it without the base ever, but I do think it looks a bit of a pain to get it properly routed that way, not to mention possibly awkward for the baby to have the cover off like that right next to them.

That said, I do think it looks like a great seat, and I'm especially happy with how well the harness tightens and how firmly it locks into it's base--better than any of the other infant/base combos I've tried.

HTH,
Kirsten

leilani
11-12-2005, 03:25 PM
I am having the same concerns...I emailed BabyTrend (Snap N' Go) and they said the Chicco KeyFit does NOT fit in their "universal" car seat carrier.
DOES ANYBODY KNOW any other options for us interested in buying the KeyFit, other than shelling out for another Chicco stroller system? (Can any of the other strollers/carriers be adapted etc?) I would really like to use the KeyFit, if this issue can be resolved. TIA!!aloha!

Joolsplus2
11-12-2005, 04:04 PM
The padding/cover on my Companion really covers the slots, too, so I don't think it'd be too much different with the KeyFit (ie, not as easy as the Connection or Snugride, but really, probably not a big issue every day...)

Still don't know about the stroller capabilities.. the Peg P3 and Inglesina Zippy seem to take just about any car seat, though...Probably need a trip to a nice baby store to try everything out....
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

jed130
11-15-2005, 09:46 AM
I have been using my Keyfit with the SNG for 9 weeks now. We've been pretty happy. From what I understand from reading these boards, some car seats "snap" into the carrier and some lay on top - requiring the belt to provide the security...... the Keyfit is the latter.

We will be using the seat w/o the base for the 1st time this week - I'm hoping it is not too challenging to do!

Fifer
12-09-2005, 12:38 PM
After reading your post, I too had the same concern about whether the seat would fit into other stroller bases. I finally managed to locate a customer service number for Chicco, and was informed by their customer serivce that it does not work with the universal car seat adaptors. Since I don't really want to buy their stoller system either, I am now back to square one, thinking the Britax Companion....

In case any one needs it, the customer service number of Chicco is 877-424-4226