PDA

View Full Version : Need advice: MA or Decathalon?

MeghanP
11-05-2005, 05:50 PM
Hey everyone! Just hoping to get some advice here. We have a 1997 and 2000 Saturn SL1. We are currently using a Snugride, which fits in rather tightly in the center backseat position (i.e., touching the backs of the front seats). As our 5 mo. DS is already nearing 19 lbs. and hates riding in the Snugride, we are looking to move up to a convertible seat. We went to BRU today and DH quickly tried out the Decathalon in our 2000 Saturn in the center position. Granted, he didn't read the instruction booklet, but he said upon a quick glance that it would be a very tight fit in the center position and that he couldn't seem to get it tight enough with just the lap belt-it wiggled a lot from side to side. Neither one of our cars have LATCH. So I was just wondering if anyone has either a MA or Decathalon with this model of car (no data was available on carseatdata.org) or knows if either would be a good fit. And is the only difference between the seats the extra cushy padding on the Decathalon? It looked like it was slightly longer than the MA, but that may have just been the way it was sitting on the shelf.

TIA!!
Meghan

Joolsplus2
11-05-2005, 07:22 PM
They are the exact same seat shell, just more padding on the DC. Probably, it can be installed slightly more upright than you had it (when the seatbelt is cranked down tightly, that helps), and it IS ok for it to touch the front seatbacks...and also top tethering will help with any extra movement that's not at the belt path...long story short, it'll be a bit of a process to learn how to install it (you have a lapbelt in the center, though, right? that's much easier than a lap/shoulderbelt), but I'm 99% sure we can walk you through it, if you can't find a tech locally at www.seatcheck.org.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

MeghanP
11-13-2005, 06:40 PM
Thanks Julie! I hope you are still following this since it's been awhile since my original question. We did go ahead and buy the Decathlon and are now just trying to figure out the installation. It seems fairly secure at the belt path in the middle seat with a lapbelt and a towel rolled up underneath (my seat is angled, which makes it pitch really far forward in the rear facing position without the towel-if that makes sense). It seems pretty loose at the top though as DH is jerking it back and forth. He tried the top tether method (Australian?), which didn't really make it more secure and would make it really difficult to get DS in and out. Although I saw the other method in the manual (Swedish?) he doesn't seem to get how this is supposed to work. Any help would be appreciated! I will also take it to a seat check as soon as I can arrange for one.

Thanks again!
Meghan

Joolsplus2
11-14-2005, 08:45 AM
This'll help :) http://www.angelfire.com/wa3/isakswings/ratetherrf.html (go towards the front seats, there should be a leg or seat track that's acceptable for tying the D-ring/Tether connector strap to)

:)

MeghanP
11-15-2005, 10:38 AM
Thanks Julie-that really helped. Now I have a fit question. DS seems to be most comfortable with the bottom seatbelt buckle going through the middle opening. However, this causes the bottom straps to go over the tops of his upper thighs as opposed to across his lower belly in the Snugride. Is this right or should the straps still be over his belly? Not sure if moving the buckle would make too much of a difference.

Thanks!
Meghan

CPSDarren
11-15-2005, 10:48 AM
Also keep in mind that the Decathlon has an adjustable crotch strap. The ones on the Wizard and Marathon tend to be very snug once kids get a little bigger.

Darren
www.seatcheck.net

Joolsplus2
11-15-2005, 03:46 PM
It's ok, Britax straps tend to be lower, and over the thighs, compared to the snugride. The crotch buckle slot that you should use is the one that's closest to, but not under his body :). Just don't pull the harness too tight...it will be quite loose over the torso, just make sure it's very snug on the shoulders... if you try to tug it tight over the torso, it'll really dig into his thighs. But don't worry, you'll get used to it :)