PDA

View Full Version : Good reasonably priced carseat for Grandma's car?

BillK
11-07-2005, 03:02 PM
Hi,

My wife and I currently have 2 Britax Boulevards in our cars for our 9 month old son (about 24 pounds now and 27-28 inches long). We've been wanting to get a decent carseat for him for in Grandma's car but we really would rather not spend another $289 for another Boulevard.

I'm looking for some suggestions on decent - easy to use (key!) - convertible seats that will fit in Grandma's Mercury Grand Marquis (no latch attachments as it's an older model - 1999 I think).

Any suggestions? I'm really only familiar with all of the Britax seats and don't know what less expensive brands are good.

Thanks in advance.

bensmom
11-07-2005, 03:18 PM
We use a Cosco Regal Ride (same as the Touriva, being replaced by the Scenera) in my mom's car and for travel. Definitely not as easy to use as our Britax Roundabout, but not hard - my parents both do fine with it. I haven't installed the Scenara yet (maybe Julie has???), but the Regal Ride/Touriva actually installs better with a seatbelt than LATCH (IMO).

It's about $40, so the price is right!

Just make sure that you get a 5-point harness and not the shield version.

Ilana

CPS Tech and mom

Joolsplus2
11-07-2005, 03:32 PM
Can't disagree with the PP... love the Scenera...only question is, is Grandma going to be trustworthy/capable/willing to properly use a harder to use seat? If it's harder to tighten the straps, will she just give up and leave them loose?

The Roundabout is definitely the easiest seat to work with, at any rate, and cheaper than the BV, and quite a nice seat to travel with if you travel by plane, and easiest to install without LATCH (easier than the BV even, because the rearfacing lockoffs are so much more properly placed).

But just really decide if Grandma will use a seat that is harder to use, properly, before you try to save too much money 'because the seat is used less', (not a knock at grandmas, I promise! plenty are very carseat savvy...hey, maybe she's a pro at it, lol)

:)

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx