PDA

View Full Version : Please help choose BV colour and any installation tips!

mizzum
11-07-2005, 05:31 PM
Hi,

I can't see the BV IRL before ordering and colours on my screen are not always what they seem! It seems a lot of people get the Park Avenue-on my screen it looks very pastel-a bit girly for boys?? I like the look of the Classic but what about Brownstone?? Mosaic is not my style.Any help would really be appreciated!

Also when I get the seats I will only have a couple of days here in zhe UK to familiarise myself with installing them before having to install 2 on a plane and then in a car at the other end. I have downloaded the manual to read in advance before things get too crazy around here (am moving across the pond). Any tips for installation would be welcome. I am particularly concerned about Latch (do i need to do that rf?) and chest clips (do they always stay closed or do you close them before/after buckling the child in?). We dont have either of those in the UK.And what are lockoffs??? My current seat has a clip in the upper middle of the back that you put the belt through-is that the same idea?

Thanks,

Lynn

Joolsplus2
11-07-2005, 07:24 PM
I think the manual will help a lot when you get it printed up and peruse it a bit :)
Park Avenue is really 'stripey brown golf pants with grey'...not at all girly, not to worry...and it'll match either a brown or grey interior, depending on the van you end up with, IMO (brownstone might look a little funny in a grey interior...).

Right, lockoffs just clamp the belt, probably like what you have...there are 4, so you always have one in the right place depending on what side of the car you are using, and whether you are installing RF or FF... and yay, none are ever required in a car with locking belts, so any car newer than 1996 here won't be a worry.

The chest clip will be something you undo when you unbuckle, and do when you buckle...it's just an extra step (I didn't know that when I got my first seat! You should have seen me trying to shove my baby up under the clipped chest clip, it was like re-birth, poor little guy! lol).

Oh, LATCH... hmmm... you can ignore it and get familiar with the belt paths for now, since there won't be LATCH on the airplane or in your current car (I'm assuming, or you'd already be comfortable with it). It's not safer, but it IS easier in a rearfacing install, but we'll cross that bridge when you get your new car (Honda Ody's had it since 2001, if you end up with one of those ;) )

The main thing to learn is what holes the seatbelt goes through, and how to deftly deal with the chest clip and buckle. The rest you can take more time to learn later.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

kimbe
11-07-2005, 09:25 PM
We have the BV in Classic and we really like it. The fabric is super soft. It is black and the little "checks" are a light tan.

We just bought the one that we liked the best. We didn't care if it matched the interior of our cars because who knows what color the interiors of our nexts cars will be. FWIW, we have gray interior and it doesn't look half bad!

mizzum
11-08-2005, 04:48 PM
Julie my head is so full of stuff- I meant tether and not latch! DO i need to tether rf?

Thanks for both your replies.

kimbe
11-08-2005, 06:45 PM
Ours is RF and we tethered it.

Joolsplus2
11-08-2005, 07:17 PM
Yeah, it should be tethered RF, but if you can't that's *more* than OK (ALL RF seats are VERY safe, tethered or not, so don't add that to your current list of stressors, ok?). What you want to do is, any time you have a minute, go out and look around on the floor of your car, at the area of the back passenger seats, and feel/look for a solid/bolted/metal bit that you could wrap about a 20cm strap around (8 inches or so), that's where you can tie the "D-ring" to to clip the tether to. Of course you won't be able to tether anywhere on an airplane.
There are slits in the cover, so you can thread the belt right through the rearfacing belt path, through the slits, through the other side, and then buckle very easily.

:)

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

mizzum
11-09-2005, 04:46 AM
Thanks!

My only problem now is the airline are insisting i ff the seats. As it is a Canadian airline i dont suppose i can wave the FAA documents in their face so I am off to call Transport Canada.

I have ordered the classic-hope it is not too hot in the summer!

Lynn