PDA

View Full Version : Charlie's new seat(s) story and question

Splash
11-07-2005, 09:57 PM
Well I have been having problems with Charlie's BV. I think they are isolated really... but the harness was slipping down the pole if he wasn't in it. Did that make any sense? Anyway, I took it back to BRU. Even though it has been months and I didn't have the receipt. But they took it, no questions asked. I do love their car seat return policy.
So, while there, I ended up pulling one off the top shelf by myself (I had Charlie in a sling but put him in a snugride on the floor for this... BTW he's too big for an old snugride, just in case you were wondering :) )
I took the one off the top shelf instead of the bottom because it has a september date instead of august. only one month but hey, a month is a month. Beats the March that I had :)
While there... some dingbat associate was going on to this lady with her son about how the Britax seats really charge extra just for the 'designer' fabrics... whatever. She was trying to sell her on a AOE or a Triumph. As soon as the associate's head was turned I talked the lady into a Decathlon. She bought it, which I am pleased about. There was also another lady there that asked me if I thought they were really worth it, and I said without a doubt.
The BRU lady was kinda pissed at me. Oh well.

Anyway, now my question. Believe it or not, DP has agreed to get Charlie another seat after he outgrows his basket (I just let out the crotch strap, so he should fit for a while longer, and I can let it out once more. It's not that he is too long or too heavy, it's that the straps don't fit around him) Julie- Where should the crotch strap be? Where *can* it be? Because I need as much length as I can get, especially if he is wearing a thicker diaper.
So, Charlie will be getting another britax once he is out of the basket. I am hoping he can hold off until the end of the year for the possibilty of picking up a 2005 at a good price.
I was going to go with a Marathon. I like the fabrics better, it's a bit cheaper, and I was thinking that when he is a bit older, he will like it more without the headwings. But... DP wants the same seat because she doesn't want him fighting one with wings, in favor of the wingless seat, or vice versa. Makes perfect sense now that I think about it. And I do so love his BV. Since there are no more online deals to be had, the price difference is only about thirty bucks or so.
So, should I just go with the BV again? Do you think kids that ride in both begin to fight one in favor of the other? Because I do NOT want that to happen.
And, of course... I guess I am stuck paying the $290 everywhere, huh? That sucks.

E- Totally stoked about talking her into getting him another Britax.

Joolsplus2
11-08-2005, 08:02 AM
Designer fabric...lol... where do they FIND these BRU people :P

Crotch straps as close as possible to, but not under, the bummy, is the general rule (yeah, I know, diapers change...but it's not like a huge safety concern or anything :) )

Most kids who are used to the BV, hate seats that DON'T have wings!!!! Seems opposite to us space-lovin' grownups, but they like to feel snug and cozy...view, shmiew, gimme my pillows! :D

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Splash
11-08-2005, 12:21 PM
Julie-
It's not one that can move forward to back. It's a baby trend, and all you can do it make it longer or shorter. It stays in the same spot though. You can make it REALLY long though!
Where can it be on his body? His crotch? His tummy? His chest? (just kidding on the last one). I know the straps need to go over his hips, but they do that no matter how long the crotch strap is.
the manual, as usual, is completely useless.

Joolsplus2
11-09-2005, 07:51 AM
Gotcha, ok...never have played with one of those seats, lol. If the manual is no help, and customer service is no help, then I think the official answer is 'it doesn't matter much, if at all', since the brunt force of most crashes will be in the shell of the seat, not the harness. I'd do what seems reasonable...long enough to be easy to buckle, not up to his chest, not down so the lapstraps are digging into his thighs... :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx