PDA

View Full Version : Which convertible to suggest for a low income family

Spencers Mom
11-08-2005, 11:31 AM
I need advice to pass on for choosing a convertible seat. My friends daughter is 2 months old and 14 lbs. (I’m not sure about her inches). Can’t remember the brand she’s in now. (nothing like coming in with a lack of info) They’ve moved the straps up to the highest slot. I’ve not seen her in a couple of weeks ;o( so I can’t speak to if it’s correct and will get over there soon to check on that issue. Either way it won’t be long before she out grows this one. Her Dad is questionable. He bought the seat she’s in just because it was the cheapest one. (It’s not even a 5 pt and he did NO research, I digress) The financial situation is not the best so a Britax is out of the question. I want to suggest a convertible so they won’t have to buy another seat in the near future. But I’m unsure what to suggest. We have a comfort sport that we love but I know (now) that the slots are low so I’m a little afraid to suggest that. (And I’ve read in other posts that it’s not great RF). I want her to have the best seat that can go RF to FF (and possibly to a booster) but know her Dad will want to save money. I may have to offer to pay half or something… since I’m just rolling in the money, lol. Just want her to be safe even if her Dad is a ______. I may have to offer to find it cheap online and then just lie about the price and pay the difference. HELP!!?? Sorry to be so long winded! Just worried about the innocent,helpless little one.
Alison

Joolsplus2
11-08-2005, 11:38 AM
The cheapest seat out there is also one of the best :). The Cosco Scenera is $39 at Target, Walmart, and Kmart (of course not the overhead shield one...). And there's a Babies R Us seat called the Cosco Alpha Sport that is a stripped down Alpha Omega, that might be good, because it at least does become a booster...it's about $100, but if the odds of them getting her a booster seat later are low, then at least they'll *have one* already.

I just like those seats because the odds of misuse are lower...the harness adjuster works pretty well forward and back, they install securely with little effort, the straps are nice and non-twist polyester (Cosco used to have the *worst* straps, now they have some of the best, go figure!), and unlike the Alpha Omega, you can't accidentally use the dangerous top headrest position with the harness.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx