PDA

View Full Version : Air travel with Decathalon

GGTK
11-08-2005, 09:37 PM
Hello all,

My wife and I have 2 Britax Decathalons (only need to travel with 1), for our car use. Has anyone tried to fit this in a typical plane seat yet? We are leaving in a week for vacation and need some opinions on this.

We have on standby, one of those newly revised Evenflow Titan DLX for easier travel. I have not seen any reviews of this yet. Is this any better of an idea for plane travel?

If not, any other suggetions would be most helpful!

Our son will have just turned 1 (as of 11/09) and is about 22-23 pounds, and is RF and we plan to keep him that way until the limit.

If we keep the third seat, it will be put to good use in the Grandparent's 200something Camry. They are frequent babysitters and could use one anyway.

Thanks,
Steve

DebbieJ
11-08-2005, 11:00 PM
Hi Steve,

I and many others on this board have taken our Britax seats onboard. I have the Marathon, which is the same footprint as the Decathalon, and did not have any problems. I think the planes I flew on were all 737s. However, Karen (stillplayswithbarbies) has flown on all different types of planes, even commuter jets, and was always able to install her seat rearfacing without a problem.

I would just suggest that you be prepared with an educated answer when the flight attendant asks you to install the seat FF. I had this experience and told her that my son was still within the limits for RF and I would not be turning him around. She then left me alone.

Good luck and have a great vacation!

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfed for 20 months and 6 days

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

GGTK
11-09-2005, 11:10 PM
Hello Deb,

Thanks for the reply.

We will take our Decathalon on board the plane, and be ready with our educated answer! I will use this post space to report how well it goes with Spirit Air out of NYC's LaGuardia airport.

When I find the out the seat sizes I will report that too.

Thanks,
Steve

GGTK
04-08-2006, 11:05 AM
Wow,

I have not been here in some time. SOrry for the delay in reporting.

When we travled with our Decathalon on USAir3000 (or someting like that) we flew on an airbus.

There was absolutly no problem having the Decathalon fit FF between my wife's seat and mine. Our son loved facing forward for the first time, and he suprisingly enjoyed the flight to and from NYC to the Bahamas.

catfeet
04-09-2006, 07:41 PM
Some planes have a problem with the MA/WZ/DC/BV shell forward facing. If you ff, make SURE you flip the release portion of the buckle so that it faces DOWN, otherwise, you may not have enough room to release the belt. If you do not, you may have to have the plane seat taken apart for you so that you can remove your carseat!

Ann,
who once had the next flight cheering as she walked down the jetway 20 minutes late after having this happen...;-)