PDA

View Full Version : 06 minivans

KCR4
11-13-2005, 09:34 PM
Julie & other Ody owners,

I have an 03 Ody on lease til April. I wanted to ask some carseat questions so I can start to prepare/lobby DH for what minivan I want next :)

Here's my kiddos ages/stats:
DS #1 is age 4, small for age, 36 lbs, 40 in.
DS #2 is age 2, average boy size for age, 27 lbs, 35 in
Both are FF (DS #2 made it RF to 20 mo. By that point, we were all going nuts listen to him wail about not seeing the trucks that DS #1 was constantly, unhelpfully pointing out.)

Originally I figured I'd definitely get an 06 Ody. But, I took a look at one recently and have some questions:

1.) I seriously dislike the new Ody third-row tether situation (straps across the cargo hold). We are TTC baby #3. If this happens soon, I anticipate moving both DS #1 and DS #2 to the third row in tethered Britax seats - we have one Wizard and one MA. (Copying what some of my friends do with their minivans and three kids -- I plan to remove one of the minivan's captains chair, for added room for stuff. That puts a new baby in the other captains chair. And both older kiddos in back. Thus, I need a good option for two tethered seats in the third row. Tether straps that block off the cargo hold won't cut it!) The way I see it, I almost can't get the Ody based on this criterion alone. So, Sienna or Quest? OR something else?

2.) The new Ody didn't have the tether anchor for the captains chair UNDER the seat. I really like this feature on my 03 Ody. Why did they change this? Can you rear-face-tether all the way under now, like before?

3.) Are there any carseat techs with reservations to be voiced on putting DS #1 and DS #2 in the third row, versus keeping one of them in a captains chair next to a hoped-for baby #3?

4.) This weekend, I just moved DS #1's MA shoulder straps up to the top slot. At the same time, I removed the original foam and used the replacement foam for use with top slots only. LOVE THE DIFFERENCE. Especially with a jacket on now, DS #1 has lots more wiggle room! Why isn't this feature better advertised? It will be a LOOOOONG time before DS #1 outgrows this seat.

5.) A final question. DH has a Britax King in his car (Acura TL), on a permanent basis. DS #1 needs the top slots, DS #2 needs the middle slots for his shoulder height. They both ride at different times with Daddy. Is it worse to have the harness slots be higher than DS #2 needs, or lower than DS #1's shoulders? Right now, I have them set for DS #2. That way, if both boys ride in Daddy's car, we pop the Britax Parkway booster in for DS #1, and we are all set.

Thank you for all your help!
p.s. To admit my Britax obsession, I'll also mention that I own a RA that lives in MIL's car and a Laptop that lives in my neighbor's car (an Expedition with a middle seat position with no shoulder belt - she carpools with me). If only I can save myself from buying a new model Britax!

erzzie
11-13-2005, 10:37 PM
I *just* bought an '06 Honda Odyssey two weeks ago.

1) The tethers for the 3rd row are on the back of the seat, just like on the captain chairs in the 3rd row. Where did you see one with tethers in the floor?

2) The 2nd row captain chairs have tether anchors built into the back of the seat itself. I asked Julie about where to RF tether for the 2nd row--she said Britax wasn't recommending using the FF tether anchor because it was untested. I couldn't find a spot under the drivers seat so I used the bar under the 2nd row seat that's essentially straight down from the front of the seat. If that doesn't make sense, I posted pics a while back, I can dig them up for you.

3) Can't help you there--when we have 3 I was planning to put two in captains chairs and the 3rd in the back row. He's in a booster though and can buckle himself.

4) Ugh, what replacement foam? I just bought a new MA from Target and I don't think I received any of that....is that only on older MA's? I'm going to be upset if I accidentally tossed it with the box...

5) No idea though you might consider a new Boulevard that can dial the harness height up and down easily!

I'm Britax obsessed too and I'd have a hard time considering anything else!

KCR4
11-14-2005, 07:20 AM
I wonder if I was looking at an 05 model re: the location of the third row tether anchors???? I thought my friend said they got an 06 but maybe I'm mistaken?

Joolsplus2
11-14-2005, 08:26 AM
I think the 06's have a lot more/better tethers than the 05's..I'll look into it.

Replacement foam for the Marathon has to be called for 18884BRITAX, it widens up the seat for when the child is using the top slots.

Sorry, I'll get back after the school bus departs, but the PP knows more about the 06 Ody than I do, anyway!

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

erzzie
11-14-2005, 10:27 AM
I think I read that the 05 has the tethers where you're describing. If you want any pictures, I'd be happy to post them. Is there anything you'd especially like to see?

catfeet
11-14-2005, 02:08 PM
I've got an 05...it has 3 tether anchors. One for each of the captains chairs, on the back of the chair itself, and one for the center of the 3rd row, which is near the rear door latch, on the back side of the cargo area. This 3rd row tether is a right PITA, if you ask me, I'm constantly hooking & unhooking the tether for ds1, who's in that position.

HTH,
Ann

KCR4
11-14-2005, 09:15 PM
Julie
I'm bumping this; there were a couple questions I had still lingering...thank you so much!
VERY EXCITED that the 06 Odys have better tether anchor locations for the third row! Now if I can only convince DH we need the Touring model :)