PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a Britax for our Nanny's Hyundai Sonata

aahjed
11-14-2005, 12:43 PM
We currently have a Wizard in our own car and we love it. We would like to get a car seat for our nanny's car and we are thinking of the Roundabout. But I'm a little torn, because the advice on this board seems to be to go ahead and get the MA (or Wizard) because they will last longer.

I am leaning toward the Roundabout, because we're having trouble installing our current carseat (an older evenflo that we're using until we get a new Britax) rearfacing in the middle seat of the Sonata. We just can't get it tight enough. I'm worried that the problem is the way the Sonata's backseat is designed. If we can't install a carseat rearfacing in the middle, then I think a MA (or Wizard) would be too big for the outboard position.

Lastly, we're also planning on using the RA for airline travel and very occasionally, when DS is over a year, in our Volvo C70 convertible (or should babies never ride in converitbles?)

Any opinions? or are there any Sonata owners who have had luck installing RF carseats in the middle seat?

TIA!
Angela

Joolsplus2
11-14-2005, 01:08 PM
Sometimes there are pros to getting the RA over the MA... like in a smaller car, when you are planning on doing some traveling ;). The RA still lasts average kids 3-4 years, so it's not like you are just throwing money away, plus, it has better rearfacng lockoffs, and is easier to adjust the harness, and it's a little less obtrusive in someone else's car (not that I'm sure your nanny minds, but still, it's nice to be considerate, and it's easier to fit 3 other adults into a car with a RA than an MA, and the RA won't block her view out of the back...that sort of thing).
I don't THINK you'd have a problem installing in that car...Britaxes tend to fit just about anything. www.carseatdata.org might have an entry to see if anyone else has tried it, though...or try the Wizard... the base is the same, so it should install basically the same way, if you ignore the extra height of the WZ.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

aahjed
11-14-2005, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the input Julie!

After doing a search on these boards, I'm debating between the RA or the Scenera. I know that Britax makes great seats, but the RA is 5 times as much as the Scenera! This car seat wouldn't be used very often (1-2 times a week at most) and never on long car trips. But maybe the extra money will be worth the peace of mind. Any opinions?

Thanks!
Angela

bensmom
11-14-2005, 05:08 PM
I personally like traveling with my Regal Ride (replaced by the Scenera) more than the Roundabout - if you do a lot of plane travel. It's just so must lighter to carry. DS sat in one for 4.5 hours Friday and Sunday (flights to and from Chicago to LA) and didn't seem to mind that it isn't padded much - even though he's normally in a Roundabout. So, I don't think comfort is a problem!

I haven't used a Scenera, but the Regal Ride is slightly harder to use than the Britax - the strap twists a little more and it takes an extra minute to get the harness snug (although I'm not sure any seat is as easy as the Roundabout). It's not hard (my dad did fine with it), just hardER than the Britax. The Roundabout installs more quickly, but I haven't heard any problems with the Scenera.

Ilana

CPS Tech and mom