PDA

View Full Version : Tall Toddler Question

mommy2robby_danny
11-18-2005, 09:05 AM
Ok, I just brought my 3yo for his 3yo checkup to find out that he finally grew!! LOL. He had PDD and does not eat, has not gained weight in a while...but anyway he finally made it to 30 lbs! BUT....he also got taller...he is 40 1/2" tall. I am using a Britax Husky in my car so I know he is fine in that but DHs truck has a convertible Evenflo car seat. Has he officially outgrown this seat now, heightwise? I thought convertibles went to 40"?
If he has I will need to get a new seat..what do I get??? He has a Dodge Ram with extra cab. You know, those tiny things with a little 1/2 door? We have two kids so he sits on the side behind DH and ds2 sits behind me which is totally squishy but if we put one of them in the middle they will fight. Anyway, we arent sure we are keeping the truck after the lease ends this summer so I do not want to spend a lot of $, we only use the truck 2x a month but the Huskys would never fit in there...
Any suggestions???
Thanks
Colleen

Joolsplus2
11-18-2005, 09:18 AM
40 inches is tall for a 3 yo :).
Are his shoulders above the top slots of his current seat? If his shoulders are still lower than the top slots, disregard the stated limit and just go till his shoulders are *just above* the top slots. Then you'll want to keep him harnessed longer, till he's a full 40 pounds, and you can look at "combo" seats with higher height and/or weight limits, like the Evenflo Generations/Bolero/Traditions/Chase or the Graco Platinum/Ultra Cargo, or the Cosco Apex (IF the car has high headrests, there must be a vehicle seatback behind the child's head, but it goes to 65 pounds and is a terrrific booster afterward), or the Recaro Young Sport (top height is listed at 40 inches, but kids easily fit to 46 or 47)...that's the most expensive, but it also becomes an awesome booster later :)

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

tjham
11-18-2005, 12:26 PM
"the Recaro Young Sport (top height is listed at 40 inches, but kids easily fit to 46 or 47)..."

Oooooh, that's good to know. My granddaughter is at an inbetween stage and I've wondered about that!

mommy2robby_danny
11-25-2005, 08:30 PM
I thought 40 1/2" sounded tall too but he doesnt really seem to tower over other kids. My 18mo is about 36" so I must have tall kids which is amazing..I am 5'4" and DH is 5'10" LOL.
Anyway..His shoulders MIGHT be a bit above the highest slot, or right about at them. I cannot recall..we literally use the truck twice a month! I will have to go for a ride in it tomorrow so I can check it out. There is no headrests in the bench seat these car seats are installed into. So, that means non of those car seats will work?
Thanks!
Colleen

hipmaman
11-25-2005, 10:17 PM
Hey, yours is the same size as my ds was when he was 3! String bean, right?

My ds was in the WZ and the Husky at the time and now at 4.5 yrs, he is still in them. Since the WZ is being discontinued, maybe it would not be as expensive as the others.

mommy2robby_danny
11-27-2005, 10:17 AM
LOL, Very String Bean like!! He has a Husky in my car that we use full time, I am sooo happy with it!! but I could never fit another one in the truck. What is the height max on the Wizard? I can go check that out. I also have an Advantage in storage waiting for the baby I do daycare for to grow into, hes in a snugride at 2mo now. My Ds does good in that, I figured all Britax convertible seats were probably around a 40" height max too, is this wrong?

Thanks
Colleen

Momof3Labs
11-27-2005, 11:25 AM
My DS is 42" tall and has TONS of room to grow in his Marathon (he has long legs, and I figure that we'll make it to 50", give or take). The Marathon, Decathalon, Boulevard and Wizard would all give you quite a bit of growing room for your tall toddler. The Advantage and Roundabout both max out at 40", give or take, depending on torso length.

mommy2robby_danny
11-27-2005, 08:38 PM
OY! Just what I expected! LOL I am going to have to spend $500ish on a car seat we will use maybe 2 or 3 times a month..we might need to find excuses to take the truck out if we are going to buy new Britax seats for it!
I say $500 because my "baby" is 18 months old and 35-36" so I know if I have one outgrowing it already the other one is going to be soon too! and I love to have matching car seats! (shhhh...)
Well, off to look for Britax and compare the models
Thanks
Colleen