PDA

View Full Version : Please help me find a car seat for my son that I can afford, or where can I get one?

bridgetb125
11-21-2005, 01:32 PM
My son is 19 months old, 41 pounds, and 34 inches tall. His doctor told me that he needs to be in a harnessed car seat still, not just a booster type seat with the seat belt. Problem is I can't afford a britax or something that expensive right now. I have called every single help agency, safe kids included to find out if there was help available for me to get a seat or a loaner one. Right now he's in his graco comfortsport but it only goes up to 40 pounds. Anyone have any ideas for me? Or any alternatives? I have tried asking the different agencys that also. Safe kids couldn't even tell me what to use instead :(

Splash
11-21-2005, 02:09 PM
How about a Cosco Apex? It's about $125, though some folks here have snagged it for $100. I have heard it has it's drawbacks though, but I don't know anything about it. There is also the Sunshine Kids Radian that is available at go go baby for $175.
E

kellyotn
11-21-2005, 02:59 PM
The big Apex drawback is when you have a low seatback w/o headrests. The seat cannot be used if the middle of the child's head is at or above the VEHICLE's seatback. My 3 yo DD is 38" and an Apex wouldn't work in our crew cab truck, and I was very disappointed about it. Otherwise I've heard pretty good things about it. And, it harnesses to 65 lbs. They are at BRU's under a different name..... which I cannot remember. A search for Apex should bring it up. Or I'm sure someone will chime in.

ETA -
Lancer, its called the Lancer at BRU. (Its the fabric name I think.)

uccomama
11-21-2005, 04:18 PM
I agree with the PPs suggestion, really your best bet is getting a Cosco Apex 65. I wouldn't worry about a low seat back at this point because your son is almost certanly too short to be affected by this at this point. It will be an issue once he grows taller though, but you can cross that, if needs be then. At this point you need to find an affordable and safe option for your baby.

Deborah

Elizasmom
11-23-2005, 12:13 PM
SORRY -DIDN'T KNOW HOW ELSE TO DELETE POST